ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] ALAC position on VRSN settlement?

  • To: John R Levine <johnl@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] ALAC position on VRSN settlement?
  • From: Bret Fausett <bfausett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 13:45:26 -0800

> I'm surprised not to have seen more comments on my position suggestions.

http://forum.icann.org/lists/alac/msg01341.html

I agree with your points, especially about the collection and commercialization of attention data, though I also am concerned with price. From comments, it seems that some members of Staff and the Board believe that market forces will keep the price in check. I'm a great believer in market forces and, if this is true, would endorse lifting the price caps. The problem is that we have no research to support the "market forces" argument.

I see two places where market forces can have an effect on .COM registry prices: (a) periodic rebids, and (b) a substitute service. The current proposal does away with the rebidding, and I am skeptical that .BIZ or .INFO or .CCTLD is a substitute for current registrants who already have branded their .COM address. I could be wrong, but I'd be more persuaded by a report from an economist or something than I am by the mere reliance on the words "market forces." If market forces aren't adequate to protect domain name registrants from monopolistic pricing then I think ICANN and the ALAC have an obligation to look out for their economic interests. I would add this to the two concerns you noted.

I'm also concerned about process, but I've bitten my blog tongue on that one until after we've sorted out the merits. I think you're right though that ICANN staff is too invested in this and cannot be objective. I've seen some of the reports they have been given to the Board, and they read a lot like the Q&A on the ICANN site. I think the Board should retain independent advice on this. The staff is trying to sell them on something, and at least from what I've seen, I do not believe the reports are objective or accurate.

       -- Bret