ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] Updated Vancouver schedule and ALAC travel list

  • To: ALAC - interim <alac@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] Updated Vancouver schedule and ALAC travel list
  • From: Wendy Seltzer <wendy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 12:49:06 -0500

Since I'll miss the first of the "ALAC Strategic Review" sessions, let me share a few thoughts by email -- and with the public list.

I hope we will have a serious discussion of whether ALAC, as envisioned by the ICANN bylaws, can ever be an effective voice for the public in ICANN. We have tried, over several years, to work within the directives of the ALAC charter, and yet we in North America still find lack of interest from broad segments of the public in joining ALSs -- and interest from individual members of the public for whom ALSs as described do not serve an effective role. The experience from other regions may differ, but for Internet users in the U.S., I think the model is fatally flawed.

Discussion of our plans for the future should include asking ourselves what impact we have had within ICANN; whether a reconfigured ALAC could better serve the interests of at-large; or whether there are other ways to give individual Internet users a voice in ICANN policymaking.

Thanks,
--Wendy

--
Wendy Seltzer -- wendy@xxxxxxxxxxx
Visiting Assistant Professor of Law, Brooklyn Law School