ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] Discussions on the current model

  • To: "Roberto Gaetano" <alac_liaison@xxxxxxxxxxx>, wendy@xxxxxxxxxxx, sricciardi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [alac] Discussions on the current model
  • From: Izumi AIZU <aizu@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 03:38:35 +0900

Roberto and all,

Thank you for bringing the focus to this direction, and what Roberto
expressed below is fairly close to what I have in mind, more vaguely perhaps.

Before making my own comment to the specific points you made, I like
to just bring one additional "external" element into the context.

I just heard, with little surprise, that there has been some proposals
to reinforce GAC position within ICANN, including strong permanent
secretariat, and possible voting seats at the Board.

I went inside the GAC room during their coffee break a few minutes
ago, and chatted with two members there. They said that some members
mentioned about the voting power, but denied that any such possibility
be discussed further.

I think it is time for ALAC to seriously consider the "next model" including
the continuation of existing ALS/RALO/ALAC model, but not limited to
that, to ensure how best to bring the users voices to ICANN process
in the post-WSIS situation where at least come governments want
to have larger share of the pie for "pubilc policy" areas.

More later,

izumi