ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] Draft Language for Board on Budget Issues

  • To: Bret Fausett <bfausett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ALAC <alac@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] Draft Language for Board on Budget Issues
  • From: Jean Polly <mom@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 14:34:48 -0500

Bret, I think this is good language. Didn't we ask to be placed on the Budget Advisory Group before?

At 01:58 PM 12/1/2005, Bret Fausett wrote:
#. We share ICANN's concerns with the current budget and planning process, which depends in large part on registrar approval and quarterly financial contributions from numerous sources. We endorse a budget and funding mechanism that would provide ICANN greater certainty in the budget planning process and reduce the administrative burden on ICANN of billing and collections. Nevertheless, we believe very strongly that ICANN should consult with the registrant and At Large community before it fundamentally reshapes its funding mechanism through new contracts with the registries. Ultimately, funds paid to ICANN from registrars or registries come from us, the At Large community. To ensure ICANN's continued legitimacy, we believe it is vitally important to provide checks on ICANN's budget, through consultation and joint planning with the registrant community that funds ICANN, and we would welcome the opportunity to work with and serve on ICANN's Budget Advisory Group. We encourage ICANN to engage the community in a larger conversation about how it should be funded and how its budgets should be created and approved.