ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

[alac] Renewal time for .aero, .coop, and .museum

  • To: "ALAC" <alac@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [alac] Renewal time for .aero, .coop, and .museum
  • From: "John R Levine" <johnl@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 24 Dec 2005 21:28:05 -0500

There are renewal proposals at
http://www.icann.org/announcements/announcement1-21dec05.htm

I mostly looked at the .aero proposal since I actually have airinfo.aero.
(Visit the web site.)  The renewal proposal to me looks dreadful.  They
complain that the current registry/registrar model doesn't work, which
considering the tiny number of registrations and the fact that their
largest registrar recently merged into another that doesn't even sell
.aero, is hard to deny.  But they don't say what they want to do instead.

I'm planning to file a comment encouraging ICANN to send the proposal back
and demand enough detail to evaluate it.  If anyone else in the ALAC or
other at-large cares about this, let me know and we can make it a joint
statement.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl@xxxxxxxx, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://www.johnlevine.com, Mayor