ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] Selecting Our Successors

  • To: "Wendy Seltzer" <wendy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] Selecting Our Successors
  • From: "John L" <johnl@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 25 Jan 2006 23:58:57 -0500

Interesting, but when you take away even the modicum of direct control that people might appear to have, what's the point?

To me, the point is that voting would be a sham. I recently sent in ALS applications for CAUCE and CAUCE Canada which together have upwards of 15,000 members, which I believe is far more than all of the other NA ALS put together. So if we're "voting" weighted by membership, I always win. Or if each ALS gets one vote, no problem, if I cared I could easily round up a dozen or so and stuff the ballot box.

Bret's suggestion leaves the control with the ALSes if they can agree, which they will if they're smart. Otherwise the nomcom, which has been one of the more functional bits of ICANN, gets to referee.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl@xxxxxxxx, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://iecc.com/johnl, Mayor