ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

RE: [alac] Selecting Our Successors

  • To: "'ALAC'" <alac@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [alac] Selecting Our Successors
  • From: "Sebastian Ricciardi" <sricciardi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 16:53:10 -0300

Anette,

Thanks so much for your message.

After the ICANN reform conducted by Stuart Lynn, a lot of pleople thought
that the end user will not participate in ICANN anymore. And here are we. An
those ALSs who approach to be certified. I think it is important for all of
us to acknowledge that te main problem here is not the actual "lack of
power" but rather the "lack of knowledge". There are many organizations
around the world that don´t have a clue about how they could participate in
a weird self regulated institutional experiment like ICANN.

Your message includes a reference to ISOC. I think we all reckon the vital
role that ISOC plays in the evolvement of the internet. Even if we don´t, it
has been recognized everywere. As per ISOC own organization, it is not
important to have ALL chapters involved to start working. I disagree with
you when you stated that the France od UK chapters are more
important-relevant or bigger that those who are involved right know. As far
as I know - and I know this organization pretty good - the chapter form
Netherlands is pretty big. Societá Internet is very important also.

Let me make a general remark at this point: It is COMPLETELY NATURAL for
those who has a specific interest in whow the internet works, and how the
DNS is being managed, to get involved in an ISOC chapter. It was a very
succesful model in a certain period of time, and it "absorbed" most of the
people interested in our matters. We shouldn´t be affraid of having ISOC
chapters involved.

Finnaly, I don´t think that "...start to discuss possible and effective
forms of participation, possible regional issues and structures, proposals
for how to deal with the problem of different languages etc. And then let us
start an "experiment" which is open to further changes...." is in our
current mandate. We were poised to build the RALOs in the shorter period of
time possible. If we don´t agree with this objective, then maybe the best
thing to do is to step down.

Just to wrap-up : the best thing we can do for the Internet user is , in my
humble POV, build the RALOs as we were prompt, and after, start advocating
for more power within ICANN. To do it before is clumsy and uneffective.

Best,

S.