ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] ALAC position on ICANN/Verisign deal?

  • To: ALAC <alac@xxxxxxxxx>, Bret Fausett <bfausett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] ALAC position on ICANN/Verisign deal?
  • From: Annette Muehlberg <Annette.Muehlberg@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 20:34:54 +0100

I agree with the statement, but have a question on the last paragraph:

What "part of the legal foundation on which ICANN was built" would be
"questioned or eroded"?  Does that need clarification?

And what do you think of adding half a sentence to your introduction (see
below) or do you think this is too much of reducing our concerns to just two
factors?

ciao
Annette

> Dear Dr. Cerf:
>
> The At Large Advisory Committee ("ALAC") has carefully reviewed and
> considered the revised agreements between ICANN and Verisign and does
> not believe that the revisions address the serious concerns of
> registrants previously described by the ALAC in both its written
> submissions and its meeting with the Board in Vancouver.

To ensure competition and protect registrants from monopolistic pricing, the
ALAC recommends that the Board take the following action: