ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] USG wonders who might like to do IANA work

  • To: "ALAC" <alac@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] USG wonders who might like to do IANA work
  • From: shahshah@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 10:54:25 +0330 (IRST)

Perhaps too early to speculate on what this really means, but we may be
witnessing the beginning of the end of ICANN. As ccTLDs have often
expressed the view that their only interest in ICANN is the smooth running
of IANA functions, ICANN will be left with just gTLDs. The gTLD business
too could presumably be taken up directly by DoC itself as the sole
authority overseeing Root Server A.
Another possibility is that this is just a warning by USG to IGF/Athens
now in the planning stage, to avoid discussion of international root
server oversight, etc., or risk unilateral US action in this area.
Siavash

> I got a note about this most interesting web page on the IETF list:
>
> http://www.fbo.gov/spg/DOC/OS/OAM/Reference%2DNumber%2DDOCNTIARFI0001/SynopsisR.html
>
>   The Department of Commerce, National Telecommunications and
>   Information Administration (DOC/NTIA) is exploring options for
>   Contractor performance of three, interdependent technical Internet
>   coordinating functions.  In support of the operation of the Internet
>   domain name and addressing system, a Contractor would furnish the
>   necessary personnel, material, equipment, services, and facilities to
>   perform the following services.
>
>   First, the Contractor would coordinate the assignment of technical
>   protocol parameters.  This function would involve the review and
>   assignment of unique values to numerous parameters (e.g., operation
>   codes, port numbers, object identifiers, protocol numbers) used in
>   various Internet protocols.  This function would also include
>   dissemination of listings of assigned parameters through various means
>   (including on-line publication) and the review of technical documents
>   for consistency with assigned values.
>
>   Second, the Contractor would perform administrative functions
>   associated with root management.  This function would primarily
>   involve facilitation and coordination of the root zone of the
>   Internet domain name and addressing system.  It would include
>   receiving requests for and making routine updates of the country
>   code top level domain contact and nameserver information.
>
>   Third, the Contractor would allocate IPv4 and IPv6 delegations of
>   IP address space.  This function would include delegation of IP
>   address blocks to regional registries for routine allocation,
>   typically through downstream providers, to Internet end-users within
>   the regions served by those registries.  It would also include
>   reservation and direct allocation of space for special purposes,
>   such as multicast addressing, addresses for private networks, and
>   globally specified applications.
>
> In case anyone forgot, ICANN does this now.
>
> Regards,
> John Levine, johnl@xxxxxxxx, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for
> Dummies",
> Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://www.johnlevine.com, Mayor
> "More Wiener schnitzel, please", said Tom, revealingly.

IPM/IRNIC
P.O.Box 19395-1795, Shahid Bahonar Sq.
Tehran 19548, Iran
Phone: (+98 21) 22 82 80 80, 22 29 03 06
Cell: (+98 912)104 2501
Fax: (+98 21) 22 29 57 00
Email: shahshah@xxxxxxxx, shahshah@xxxxxx, shahshah@xxxxxxxxx