ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

RE: [alac] possible topic for Wellington public meeting

  • To: bfausett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, alac@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [alac] possible topic for Wellington public meeting
  • From: "Roberto Gaetano" <alac_liaison@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 18:47:37 +0000

What they do, is to use a plugin that translates the "<IDN-domainname>.<IDN-pseudoTLD>" into "<IDN-domainname>.<IDN-pseudoTLD>.cn". Formally, they are using the A-root, pointing to the domain via CN-NIC. However, the matter is still of concern, because of the potential confusion in the future between (for instance) "abc.def.cn" and "abc.def.tw", should they at one point in time try to converge using "def" as a "real" IDN-TLD, and want to migrate the "def.cn" and "def.tw" into "def".

I hope is clear ;>)
Anyway, this is one of the discussions going on in the board right now.

Roberto GAETANO
ALAC
ICANN BoD Liaison