ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

RE: [alac] possible topic for Wellington public meeting

• To: bfausett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, alac@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [alac] possible topic for Wellington public meeting
  • Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 18:47:37 +0000

What they do, is to use a plugin that translates the "<IDN-domainname>.<IDN-pseudoTLD>" into "<IDN-domainname>.<IDN-pseudoTLD>.cn". Formally, they are using the A-root, pointing to the domain via CN-NIC. However, the matter is still of concern, because of the potential confusion in the future between (for instance) "abc.def.cn" and "abc.def.tw", should they at one point in time try to converge using "def" as a "real" IDN-TLD, and want to migrate the "def.cn" and "def.tw" into "def".

I hope is clear ;>)
Anyway, this is one of the discussions going on in the board right now.

Roberto GAETANO
ALAC
ICANN BoD Liaison

To: ALAC <alac@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [alac] possible topic for Wellington public meeting
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 08:32:36 -0800

I'm very curious about the twin Chinese announcements this week that they were implementing IDN TLDs outside the "ICANN root" and then, later, saying (through ICANN) that they were *not* implementing non-ICANN TLDs.

http://news.com.com/2061-10796_3-6045396.html

I've been talking to various people who know this subject better than I do, and the truth seems lie somewhere in between. This would be a good time to review what China (and other innovative countries less interested in abiding by international standards) are actually doing with the DNS and IP address allocation.

Thoughts?

Bret

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy