ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac-admin] [Fwd: [alac] VeriSign Statement]

  • To: Bret Fausett <bfausett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac-admin] [Fwd: [alac] VeriSign Statement]
  • From: Vittorio Bertola <vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 22:38:09 +0100

Bret Fausett ha scritto:

This draft sort of vaguely insults the Board without directly asking for any action or providing justification for action.

You're right, it's too vague. We ought to beef it up a bit. How about:

By approving the agreement, the ICANN Board placed its self-interest in expanded revenue ahead of the interests of domain name registrants.

Better?

I am concerned by this email thread.

I have no doubt that the ICANN Board did not do the right thing - especially from a registrant's point of view - in accepting the settlement.

At the same time, I am uncomfortable, from a formal standpoint, in having the ALAC statement on the matter drafted by a lawyer whose law firm has just been hired by the "Coalition for ICANN Transparency" to sue the ICANN Board on this very matter. No matter how good the statement could be and how much we all esteem Bret, our statement could easily be challenged for this simple reason.

I am even more uncomfortable if the proposed language seems to imply that the ICANN Board took that decision for "self-interest" and money, rather than for what it thought to be the public good, and for the reasons it publicly stated. I think that this might be interpreted as defamation. I would not presume that I know the reasons why someone else took a decision, unless I have concrete evidence to that purpose. We can state and support our opinions in a convincing way without suggesting other people's lack of integrity.

However, I am also uncomfortable in discussing a statement that heavily (and deservedly) criticizes the ICANN Board and management, and see it challenged by a member of the ICANN staff.

Perhaps we should defer this matter to face to face discussions in Wellington? That might help to establish a more positive climate.
--
vb. [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<-----
http://bertola.eu.org/ <- Prima o poi...