ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] Mad rush for .mobi

  • To: sricciardi <sricciardi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] Mad rush for .mobi
  • From: John L <johnl@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 18:18:12 -0400 (EDT)

http://www.redherring.com/Article.aspx?a=16952

No surprise there. Everyone with a well-known name registers it in every new GTLD. That's why the trademark lawyers hate new domains.

The real questions are whether the early registrants will use the domains they grab, and whether there will be other registrants once the rush is over. Dot travel had the same rush, but nearly all of the domains there I check like yahoo.travel and google.travel aren't active.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl@xxxxxxxx, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://johnlevine.com, Mayor