ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] FW: [council] Final IDN Issues Report

  • To: "Bret Fausett" <bfausett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] FW: [council] Final IDN Issues Report
  • From: shahshah@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 10:16:17 +0330 (IRST)

I hope everyone reads the Report. It acknowledges that the end-users have
something at stake in this matter in the following:

" How could an introduction of internationalized equivalents of existing
TLDs best promote competition and choice for end-users? "

But there is no specific call on GNSO to consult ALAC(though this is not
specically excluded either). Note the following quotes:

"It is recommended that the GNSO launch a focused policy development
process, in close consultation with the ccNSO and the broader ICANN
community including the Government Advisory Committee (on the public
policy aspects).
It follows that the issues listed in this report are of a broad nature,
reaching beyond the remit of the GNSO and calling for necessary expert
advice from other ICANN entities such as the ccNSO, the GAC, and the
President?s Advisory Committee for IDNs."

So, how should we proceed at ALAC? Should we work on a position paper on
some issues where we think end-user interests are involved and submit it
to GNSO? Should we task our liaison officer with GNSO to address and
emphasize certain issues that we identify? Should we ask to have a
specific representative at such discussions? Earlier Brett asked for
volunteers from ALAC to participate in a focused committee work. What came
of that?

Siavash

> Use this one instead.
>
>         Bret

IPM/IRNIC
P.O.Box 19395-5564, Shahid Bahonar Sq.
Tehran 19548, Iran
Phone: (+98 21) 22 82 80 80; 82 80 81, ext 113
Cell: (+98 912)104 2501
Fax: (+98 21) 22 29 57 00
Email: shahshah@xxxxxxxx, shahshah@xxxxxx, shahshah@xxxxxxxxx