ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

RE: [alac] President's Committee on Strategy, and ICANN legitimacy

  • To: "Roberto Gaetano" <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [alac] President's Committee on Strategy, and ICANN legitimacy
  • From: shahshah@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 13:19:07 +0330 (IRST)

Frankly I think we are witnessing the gradual takeover of ICANN Board
powers by the Executive as witnessed by the recent deluge of executive
appointments and President's committees (IDN, Strategy, what next?), a
process that will culminate next year with the termination of Vint Cerf's
terms of office. It is within the Board's powers not to allow this by not
making the necessary appropriations or by insisting that each committe's
or new position's mission be well-defined and limited, but apparently the
Board is willingly going along. When I first heard of PSC in Wellington, I
innocently assumed(specially seeing the composition) that the name was
just a misnomer and that this was simply going to be a lobby for ICANN to
push its case with DoC, USG and in international fora. As such, I didn't
think that Vittorio's criticisms were relevant. Nor did I think then (or
now)that it made any sense for us to suggest appointments to the committee
as a group(ALAC). But if the phrase 'Strategy Committee' is to be taken
literally, then Vittorio's objections become totally justified.
And Roberto, I am unhappy with your using analogies with current world
events, political entities, etc., to bring home your points. ICANN affairs
by themselves are complicated enough, let us keep our personal views and
interpretations of world events out of this.
Siavash