ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

[alac] Business Week

  • To: ALAC <alac@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [alac] Business Week
  • From: Jean Armour Polly <mom@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 14:00:28 -0400

Hi, yesterday I got a phone call from a California reporter from Business Week, I don't know how he tracked me down but he did. He had seen ALAC's interest in domain name tasting/kiting and wanted to know more about it. As an end user himself he congratulated us in investigating it/getting it on ICANN's radar.

I said that we were in very early days--we had asked staff to give us an advisory paper on it, and that based on that we might choose to ask for an issues report, which might or might not lead to a policy development process. I pointed out that ALAC was only at the beginning steps of its research on the topic, and also that I did not speak for ALAC. I said this a couple of times.

I was able to point him to articles posted on the topic in our Hot Topics section, as well as the transcript of the Domain Name Monetization Workshop in Marrakech, where a couple solutions were proffered. He was very happy for the pointers (thanks Jacqueline and Wendy for alerting me to them in the first place!)

I did say that speaking for myself alone that I felt that Domain Name Tasting was an abuse of the 5-day add-drop period, giving a free ride to the tasters, and that the resulting ad farms were cluttering up my search results and that I didn't like it.

But I also reiterated that I was speaking for myself and also said that many prefer that ICANN should work on IDN (for example) before Domain Name Tasting.

I think it is great that a reporter found our website useful!!

JP