ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] Board activities in July

  • To: Roberto Gaetano <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] Board activities in July
  • From: Vittorio Bertola <vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 11:23:46 +0200

Roberto Gaetano ha scritto:
      Another element of concern is the decision of Cameroon (.cm) to
      use a wildcard, pretty much in similar way as the PathFinder was
      operated for .com. Security and Stability considerations suggest
      to discourage this behaviour, but it is also recognized that ICANN
      has no title to enforce a rule. Also for this case some believe
      that the ccNSO should be the place to develop guidelines.

I am looking with great interest to this case. Of course, if a wildcard isn't good for .com then it isn't good for .cm as well, also because (not to hide behind a finger) it is clearly meant, for 99.99% of the cases, to exploit typos in .com domains. On the other hand, this definitely is a matter in which ICANN - through the ccNSO - can only promote guidelines, but cannot enforce anything. And I'm sure that any attempt by ICANN to prevent Cameroon from making some (minor, if compared with the amounts made by Verisign) money on typos by Western users would immediately stir a North vs South political controversy.

Let's say that I would have been happier if Cameroon had decided to capture .com typos to promote their own online resources, culture, tourism and trade, rather than to show the standard English monetization pages...

    * *_IDN_*
      The discussion on IDN is continuing. The Board acknowledges that
      there is a need for fast implementation, but also that the model
      has to be carefully evaluated, because we cannot afford to get it
      wrong.

Perhaps the Board should be reminded that, also, we cannot afford not to get it quickly, or the uniqueness of the DNS could break? (in fact it already started to do so)

    * *_Strategy_*
      A report on the President's Strategy Committee consultations has
      been provided to the Board by ICANN Staff, and has been discussed
      by the Board. The Committee is continuing its work.

Could we get some feedback about what the PSC is doing? -- vb. [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<----- http://bertola.eu.org/ <- Prima o poi...