[alac] Fwd: URGENT: Redlined Text required of the MoU
- To: ALAC <alac@xxxxxxxxx>, ediaz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, COFLAHERTY@xxxxxxxxxx, carlton.samuels@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Melody_Palmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, james@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, anita.sanchez@xxxxxxx, matias@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, presidente@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, g_marquez2002@xxxxxxxxxxx, daniels@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, joseluis@xxxxxxxxxxxx, chess@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, rbauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, rmedina@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, devtee@xxxxxxxxx, sricciardi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, faia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, jam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Regional At-Large Structure for Latin America" <lac-ralo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: [alac] Fwd: URGENT: Redlined Text required of the MoU
- From: "Nick Ashton-Hart" <nashton@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2006 14:36:37 -0200
FYI, the response of Denise Michel on behalf of ICANN in relation to
the MoU draft.
---------- Forwarded message ----------
On 03/12/06, Denise Michel <denise.michel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Thank you for all of your hard work on the LACRALO MOU. It is very
exciting that the LAC At-Large community will be the first to launch its
RALO. After a quick review of the changes made to the MOU text that was
posted for public comment, I wanted to make you aware of two things:
1) Regarding: "ICANN agrees that during the term of this MOU it will
work in conjunction with the LACRALO to support At-Large activities
within the Latin America & Caribbean Region, including: " ... "Assuring
the availability of major documents in the LACRALO languages." -- There
is concern that this text may require ICANN to translate all posted
documents into the languages listed in the operating principles, whether
or not they are needed by the LACRALO community, and regardless of
resource constraints. We may need more flexibility in this area,
especially since ICANN is currently developing a comprehensive
multi-lingual program and corresponding budget.
2) ICANN has a commitment to posting significant items for public
comment (usually for 21 days) before taking action. We will need to
consider whether this revised version would need to be posted for public
comment before being signed by ICANN.
I will look into this further and get back to you.
Vice President, Policy Development
PO Box 32160
London N4 2XY
UK Tel: +44 (20) 8800-1011
USA Tel: +1 (202) 657-5460
Fax: +44 (20) 7681-3135
mobile: +44 (7774) 932798
Win IM: ashtonhart@xxxxxxxxxxx / AIM/iSight: nashtonhart@xxxxxxx /
Online Bio: https://www.linkedin.com/in/ashtonhart
FESTIVE GREETINGS! As per usual, in lieu of cards for friends and
colleagues, I have made a donation in your name to Medecins Sans
Frontieres, to help them provide medical care to those much less
fortunate than ourselves.