ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

[alac] Plans as Board liaison

  • To: Interim ALAC <alac@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [alac] Plans as Board liaison
  • From: Vittorio Bertola <vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 15:53:03 +0100

All,

on the GA list, I was asked for an explanation of my role, so I'd take the opportunity to share with you some practicalities that I've been working out in these days (first of all, I have not been subscribed to the Board mailing list yet...).

I will have all prerogatives of Board members, fully participate in the Board mailing list and meetings, and obtain access to documents and information that Directors have, under similar confidentiality rules; however, I do not have a vote in Board deliberations. I still have to understand whether I can make motions or second them. I cannot be a member of Board committees, but I have asked whether I could at least subscribe to their lists.

There is a provision in the Bylaws that should allow me to share confidential information with members of the entity I liaise with (the ALAC), under clauses established by the Board. I have asked how to enforce this, and of course the reply was "you judge, better ask each and every time, and in any case, if you talk too much, people might want to have their private discussions somewhere else", which is a somewhat sad but understandable reply.

My plan, once I finish the rework of my long-abandoned personal website, is to have a webpage, blog or whatever to post information and collect comments, compatibly with the overall availability of time. Of course, this is in addition to direct input from the rest of us through the ALAC mailing lists and meetings - I think that I liaise first of all with the Committee, which has the last word on the positions I represent to the Board, and only at the second level with the community in general.

Ciao,