ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

[alac] MemberClicks database service for At-Large

  • To: "Interim ALAC" <alac@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [alac] MemberClicks database service for At-Large
  • From: "Nick Ashton-Hart" <nashton@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 17:10:26 +0000

Dear Committee:

Since we were unable on today's teleconference to set a time and date for a
review of the MemberClicks system, and it seems that there was some question
as to the value of the proposed service, I thought I would recap in brief a
summary of the service and outline some of the benefits which I perceive the
service would bring for the worldwide At-Large community:

1) A highly configurable database containing the details of each ALS,
candidate ALS, and the individuals associated with it who interact with the
At-Large community;

2) An online form, allowing new ALSes to apply online, and which would also
store the other information associated with the application, obviating the
need to email around word documents and PDFs;

3) Each region would have read/write privileges on their region's data -
whilst other regions would be have read-only access;

4) Each individual or group would have read/write access to their own
records;

5) A sophisticated set of tools would be accessible to all 'members'
allowing them to interact with each other without needing to look for copies
of spreadsheets with contact information. The ALSes could provide much
richer and detailed information on their organisations, links to their
websites, etc than is currently possible.

6) For regions, like Europe, which plan to have individual members join for
a fee, the system automatically tracks when a membership fee falls due and
reminds the administrator that the member needs to pay, and can auto-disable
their login to the member-only services of the system if they do not pay
their dues on time. It also allows for credit card payments of membership
fees.

We have a rapidly growing community. Maintaining information on that
community via spreadsheets inhibits the community communicating with one
another and adds administrative overhead.

Simply put, this system would be a great improvement over the manual,
spreadsheet and word document based system we have now. It would make it
easier to handle new applicants, and make it easier for existing members of
the community to interact with each other. It is very inexpensive as well.

I am hopeful that one or two members of the ALAC can make some time to look
at the service in the near future. It might take an hour or so, and perhaps
less, to see the system demonstrated interactively. I've copied Carlton
Samuels, as the Secretariat for the LAC region, on this message so that he
may indicate if he wishes to participate in the demonstration. I have also
copied the Regional Liaisons in case they are similarly interested.

As previously outlined, there is a demonstration version online, and further
information can be found at www.memberclicks.com. I have copied in Kevin
Patrick, of MemberClicks, so he is aware we haven't forgotten about this and
so those of you with questions can contact him directly if you wish to ask
them.

The details for the demo system again are as follows:

http://my.memberclicks.com/iaac
Username: icann
Password: alac
--
Regards,

Nick Ashton-Hart
PO Box 32160
London N4 2XY
United Kingdom
UK Tel: +44 (20) 8800-1011
USA Tel: +1 (202) 657-5460
Fax: +44 (20) 7681-3135
mobile: +44 (7774) 932798
Win IM: ashtonhart@xxxxxxxxxxx / AIM/iSight: nashtonhart@xxxxxxx / Skype:
nashtonhart
Online Bio:   https://www.linkedin.com/in/ashtonhart

FESTIVE GREETINGS! As per usual, in lieu of cards for friends and
colleagues, I have made a donation in your name to Medecins Sans Frontieres,
to help them provide medical care to those much less fortunate than
ourselves.