ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[allocationmethods]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

support: an auction with proceeds going to the public good

• To: allocationmethods@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: support: an auction with proceeds going to the public good
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 02:36:07 +0900

About allocation of presently reserved single letter (and digit) second level domain in open and historic gTLDs, i.e. COM, NET and ORG.

These names potentially great value. I support the idea of revenues from these names being brought into a special fund. A trust fund independent or semi-independent of ICANN with proceeds used for the benefit of the global community. These are reserved names, not a new creation so do not belong to the registry operator as names have been by some of the newly created TLDs. They do not belong to any registrar, registry or ICANN. And the re-delegation of .ORG does set a somewhat similar precedent that revenues from names can be made for "good works".

Revenues might be used for, among other things, to address ICANN two of ICANN's core principles:

* preserve the security and stability, reliability of the DNS
* achieve a broad representation of global Internet communities through structures that reflect the functional and geographic diversity of Internet users and international participation in decision making.

For example, helping developing nation ccTLDs achieve security and stability, reliability. Increase funds for participation, translation, interpretation so that a community of informed/sustaining participants can be developed.

I support the proposal for an auction with proceeds going to the public good.

Thanks,

Adam

Adam Peake
GLOCOM Tokyo

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy