ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[allocationmethods]

auction

  • To: <allocationmethods@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: auction
  • From: "Paul Stahura" <stahura@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 10:14:49 -0800

We may want to consider a Dutch auction, which is one where the price
starts high and decreases over time.  Whoever pays the price gets to
pick the 1-letter domain they want, out of whichever ones are left. The
auction of these names will be well-publicized. This may have a better
chance of maximizing the revenue generated (to ICANN or whoever I guess)
because bidders may pay more than they otherwise would have in an
English auction (why pay $1mm when the highest bid in an English action
is $500K?).  There are other reasons why it may do a better job in
maximizing the dollars. It also has the benefit of being easier to
implement. I also support the idea of a higher renewal fee (5-10% of bid
sounds good) post-auction in the out years.