ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[allocationmethods]

Single Letter Domain Names

  • To: <allocationmethods@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Single Letter Domain Names
  • From: "Dominik Filipp" <dominik.filipp@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 15:55:21 +0100

here, I am expressing my personal opinions and ideas regarding single
letter domain name allocation.

Auctioning Names

Single letter/number domains should be alocated via one-shot auction
process. Everyone interested in single letter names should have
legitimate opportunity to take part in such an auction on equal basis
giving the same chance to all bidders. A suitable auction company could
be chosen among eligible and credible auction companies in a separate
tender held by ICANN. Furthermore, the tender provisions could introduce
a fix-price fee clause for each name sold on auction instead of
profiting on percentual basis; all this to maximize the proceed from
successful auctions. The ICANN steering committee could then choose the
auction company offering the lowest fix-price fee per successful auction
transaction.
The names will be registered and subsequently renewed following the
standard price regulations at registry and registrar of choice, and will
be treated as any other domain name.

Legitimate Claims

As single letter/number domain names are inherently generic I do not see
any reason for pre-allocating the names or otherwise preferring the
claims of trademark-based companies even with single letter trademark
name registered to any other claimant; as long as the use of the name
abides by copyright law, such as not colliding with existing trademark
business, the good-faith condition, etc. Possible copyright infringement
can still be resolved via the standard UDRP process.

Who Will The Proceed Go To?

The proceed from successful auctions should go to ICANN, however, for
specific purpose only. Here, I agree with Avri Doria's concept of
establishing a tight ICANN foundation responsible for offering grants in
various areas connected with the Internet community needs and conforming
to the ICANN core values. Exactly as Avri writes:

"All grants should be predicated on actual need, and soundness of a plan
which includes discussions on how they will achieve a self sustaining
entity. All grant decisions should be made by a panel that is uninvolved
in ICANN Staff, AC, SO or Board.
The foundation should be established according to all the rules of
transparency and accountablity to the public good and must be
established as independent from either ICANN or US DoC oversight, though
it should have publicly accountable oversight."

Dominik Filipp, a GA list member