ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[atrt-questions-2010]

  • To: atrt-questions-2010@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Responses to questions from the Accountability and Transparency Review Team" (ATRT)
  • From: "Edward Hasbrouck" <edward@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 08:54:10 -0700

Accountability and Transparency Review Team" (ATRT)

=====

The following comments are being submitted in response to the questions
from ICANN's ""Affirmation of Commitments Accountability and Transparency
Review Team" (ATRT).  These comments summarize my experiences with respect
to ICANN's lack of transparency and lack of accountability, And my
links to supporting documents are available at:

http://hasbrouck.org/icann/

By way of background, I am an author, blogger, and award-winning
investigative journalist covering issues related to travel.  In the course
of my work, I have attempted to report on ICANN's consideration of travel-
related issues, particularly the travel-related top-level domain names
(TLD's) ".aero" and ".travel".

Most of the meetings related to ICANN's decision-making on these issues
have been closed to journalists and the public. No notice or access to
these meetings has been provided, even when I have specifically requested.
 Similarly, many of the documents related to these decisions have been
kept secret, even when I have specifically requested them.

My specific requests for access to ICANN meetings, records, and documents,
made pursuant to the transparency provisions of ICANN's Bylaws, have
occasionally been denied, but usually have simply been ignored.  When
ICANN has given reasons for its denials of my requests, those reasons have
clearly not comply with ICANN's Bylaws on transparency.

I have, with the utmost diligence, attempted to utilize each of ICANN's
purported accountability mechanisms to challenge its denial of my requests
for access to meetings, records, and documents, and its failure to comply
with its Bylaws on transparency.

My efforts to hold ICANN accountable have been entirely unsuccessful. In
the course of attempting to utilize ICANN's purported accountability
mechanisms, I have discovered that none of those three purported
mechanisms (ombudsman, reconsideration, and independent review) has
actually been implemented by ICANN in compliance with its Bylaws.

While I welcome the efforts of the ATRT, including its attempt to set an
example of greater transparency in its own activities, I believe that
there are two important omissions from the questions the ATRT has asked.

First, the ATRT has asked whether ICANN is accountable.  But ICANN's
Bylaws require not just accountability in general, but the implementation
of *specific* accountability mechanisms. I urge the ATRT to review whether
ICANN has complied with the specific requirements of ICANN's own Bylaws on
accountability.

Second, the ATRT has asked whether ICANN's processes and decision-making
are transparent.  But ICANN's Bylaws require not just some transparency,
but that "ICANN and its constituent bodies shall operate to the maximum
extent feasible in an open and transparent manner."  In general, ICANN has
operated on the erroneous assumption that as long as some degree of
transparency is provided, the words "maximum extent feasible" in its
Bylaws can be ignored. I urge the ATRT to look specifically at whether
ICANN has operated "to the maximum extent feasible in an open and
transparent manner", as explicitly required by ICANN's own bylaws.

My responses to the specific questions from the ATRT are as follows:

"1. Do you think ICANN is accountable to all stakeholders? Can you
identify a specific example(s) when ICANN did not act in an accountable
manner? If so, please provide specific information as to the circumstances
and indicate why you believe ICANN’s actions were not taken in an
accountable manner."

No, ICANN is not accountable in any meaningful way. Have I have been
completely unsuccessful and holding ICANN accountable for complying with
its procedural due process, transparency, and accountability Bylaws in (a)
its decision-making on applications for TLD's, (b) its promulgation of a
"Documentary Information Disclosure Policy" clearly contrary to the
"maximum extent feasible" clause of its transparency Bylaw, and (c) its
refusal to consider or act on my requests for reconsideration and
independent review in a manner consistent with its Bylaws.

"2. Do ICANN’s accountability mechanisms, including the Ombudsman, the
Board reconsideration procedure and the Independent Review Panel provide
meaningful accountability and, if not, how could they be improved?"

No, none of these mechanism provide meaningful accountability. It remains
doubtful whether they would provide meaningful accountability if they were
implemented. But to date none of these mechanisms has actually been
implemented by ICANN in accordance with its Bylaws:

(a) Ombudsman: ICANN has no properly appointed ombudsman. ICANN's Bylaws
unambiguously and specifically require that an ombudsman must be appointed
by ICANN's Board of Directors, and that the initial appointment of an
ombudsman be for a term of two years, subject to renewal by the Board.
ICANN has claimed that ombudsman was appointed on 1 November 2004. There
is no public record of an ICANN Board meeting on that date, much less of
any Board decision to appoint an ombudsman. More than two years has passed
since that date, and there is no record of any Board consideration or
decision to renew the appointment of an ombudsman. While ICANN has claimed
to have an ombudsman, despite its obvious failure to comply with the
requirements of its bylaws for appointment of an on budget and by ICANN's
Board, that clearly false claim serves only to demonstrate ICANN's lack of
concern for compliance with its own Bylaws and its own procedural rules
for decision-making. I have repeatedly called ICANN's attention to its
failure to properly appoint an ombudsman, but so far as I can tell, no
action has been taken on this by ICANN.

The failure of ICANN's Board to appoint or renew the appointment of an
ombudsman would be relatively easy to correct (although there would be
little or no support, other than from ICANN staff, for the appointment of
the current purported ombudsman). ICANN's failure to address this issue is
indicative of the strength with which its corporate culture resists the
admission of any error by ICANN, and particularly resists the admission of
any failure to comply with procedural, transparency, or accountability
rules.

(b) Reconsideration: So far as I can tell, the Reconsideration Committee
of ICANN's Board of Directors never held a public meeting. My specific
requests for notice of, and an opportunity to observe, its meetings to
consider my requests were completely ignored. It would have been feasible
for reconsideration requests to be considered in public session. Perhaps
the outcome of reconsideration would be different if the were conducted
publicly. Perhaps it would be better. Perhaps it would be worse. But it
would be feasible. If some people believe that would be better to exempt
the Reconsideration Committee from the requirement of the Bylaws for the
"maximum extent feasible" of openness and transparency, the appropriate
action is for them to propose an amendment to ICANN's Bylaws, not to have
the Reconsideration Committee operate in secrecy in violation of the
current Bylaws. (As a journalist, and as an advocate for transparency, I
would strongly oppose any such proposal. I believe that the current
transparency provision of the Bylaws was adopted in the correct belief
that full transparency will result in better decision-making outcomes.)

My Reconsideration Request 05-02 was denied on the basis of communications
between the (purported) Ombudsman and the Reconsideration Committee, and
related to an separate matter in which I had requested the assistance of
the person acting as "Ombudsman". (Both the matter before the purported
Ombudsman and the matter before the Reconsideration Committee related to
ICANN's refusal to give access to specific meetings and records. But it is
perfectly normal for a journalist to have multiple requests for access to
meetings and records pending at the same time before the same body. My
requests to the purported Ombudsman and to the Reconsideration Committee
related to different meetings and records.) Whatever the content of those
communications, (1) they were not (and still are not) in the public
written record, and thus could not provide a valid basis for a decision by
the Reconsideration Committee, which is specifically required by the
Bylaws to base its decision "solely on the public written record", and (2)
they violated the purported confidentiality principles of the person
acting as ICANN's Ombudsman.  I have pointed out to ICANN both the
violation of the requirement for the reconsideration committee to base its
decision solely on the public written record, and the violation of the
purported confidentiality of requests for assistance from the (purported)
Ombudsman. If any action has been taken in response, it has been taken
entirely in secret.

(c) I have made two formal requests for independent review of specific
actions by ICANN which I believe are contrary to ICANN's Bylaws on
transparency. On 8 April 2005, I requested an independent review of
whether the procedures by which ICANN reached its decision to approve the
".travel" agreement complied with ICANN's Bylaws on transparency. On 12
November 2007, I requested an independent review of whether ICANN's
"Documentary Information Disclosure Policy" complies with ICANN's Bylaws
on transparency. So far as I can tell, no action has ever been taken on
either of these requests, and ICANN has not, in fact, referred them to
independent review panels as required by ICANN's bylaws.

ICANN has claimed that it has designated the ICDR as its exclusive
independent review provider, and has claimed that this decision did not
require a formal policy development process. In so doing, ICANN has
completely ignored the specific procedural and transparency requirements
of its Bylaws, particularly as they relate to policies that purport to
impose fees. There is no public record of ICANN's Board ever having
considered procedures for independent review, despite the specific
requirement of ICANN's Bylaws that the procedures for independent review
must be approved by the Board. ICANN has repeatedly and explicitly
promised, in writing, to refer my request to an independent review panel,
but has never done so. Despite claiming to be willing to "assist" in
arranging a meeting between me and ICDR (ICDR having told me, when I
contacted them directly, that they had never heard of ICANN), ICANN itself
has never willing to meet with me, and has never placed my requests on the
agenda for any public ICANN meeting.

"3. Do you think ICANN’s processes and decision making is transparent? Can
you identify a specific example(s) when ICANN did not act in a transparent
manner. If so, please provide specific information as to the circumstances
and indicate why you believe ICANN’s actions were not taken in a
transparent manner. Are ICANN’s transparency mechanisms robust and how
could they be improved?"

As noted above, the relevant criterion is not whether ICANN's processes
are transparent, but whether ICANN operates with the "maximum extent
feasible" of transparency. It does not.

When ICANN has deigned to give any reasons at all for its refusal to
provide access to meetings, documents, or records, it has typically relied
on one or both of two arguments, neither of which has anything to do with
whether it would be "feasible" to give access:

(a) Promises of confidentiality made by ICANN to third parties. This begs
the question of whether ICANN can, consistent with its obligation to the
"maximum extent feasible" of transparency, make promises of
confidentiality to third parties submitting documents to ICANN unless it
would not be "feasible" for ICANN to operate without doing so.

Third parties should be aware that ICANN is required to act in a fishbowl,
and should not submit documents to ICANN that they don't wish to have made
public (just as they should not submit documents to government entities
that they do not wish to become public, if they are aware that those
government entities are subject to transparency rules that require them to
make public documents received from third parties).

(b) Belief that decision-making would benefit from closed meetings or from
consideration of documents and records withheld from public disclosure.
But as discussed above, this is at most, an argument that might be made in
favor of a proposal to amend ICANN's transparency Bylaws, not a valid
justification for departure from the current Bylaws.

To give only a few of the most obvious and/or most serious examples:

(a) It would clearly be feasible to make ICANN Board meetings accessible
to real-time auditing, and/or to make public audio recordings of those
meetings. But that is not done, despite repeated requests from journalists
such as myself and other members of the public.  ICANN has never publicly
considered these requests on the basis of what is "feasible".

(b) ICANN's Board of Directors routinely holds secret discussions at so-
called "retreats" and other events which are "not designated as public
meetings", through a non-public e-mail discussion list, and on the basis
of non-public staff reports.  It would be "feasible" to disclose all or
most of these discussions and documents, but they are kept secret from
journalists and the public for reasons having nothing to do with the
feasibility of disclosing them.

(c) The evaluations of applications for new TLD's were conducted almost
entirely in secret, even though I had, as a journalist and as a
stakeholder, specifically requested notice of any meetings to consider the
applications.  The evaluators were appointed in secret, and were not
publicly identified until months after the completion of their work. They
met in secret, and their reports and recommendations to ICANN were kept
secret until months after they had been submitted to ICANN and used as the
basis for decisions by ICANN's Board. Other documents submitted by
applicants and relied on by ICANN as part of the basis for its decisions
remain secret, despite my specific requests for them. (This is the subject
of the first of my pending requests for independent review.)

(d) ICANN's "Documentary Information Disclosure Policy" purports to allow
ICANN to withhold documents from disclosure, even when they are
specifically requested, for numerous reasons having nothing to do with
whether it would be "feasible" to disclose them.  (This is the subject of
the other of my pending requests for independent review.)

(e) Perhaps the clearest example of ICANN's failure to comply with the
"maximum extent feasible" clause of its Bylaws on transparency, and of the
excuses offered by ICANN for its departures from transparency, is the
response I received (four years after my initial request) to my request
for any agreements between ICANN and ICDR and/or any other purported
independent review providers:

"ICANN/ICDR Agreement: ... ICANN does not make public its individual
vendor contracts. Further, individual contracts of this type are protected
from disclosure under the balancing test outlined within the DIDP....
Allowing public disclosure will impede ICANN's ability to negotiate and
enter into contracts with persons and entities not wishing to make their
business dealings open to the public, which will greatly harm the
organization in running its business. Moreover, it is hard to identify
what public interest would be served by the disclosure of the contract.
This harm/benefit analysis is sufficient justification for nondisclosure
under the DIDP. ICANN can, however, confirm the existence of an agreement
with the International Centre for Dispute Resolution ("ICDR") as the Board-
designated Independent Review Panel Provider."

Of course, secret ex parte discussions between ICANN and ICDR while my
request was pending, and/or the existence of a secret contractual side
agreement between ICANN and ICDR, would clearly preclude ICDR from
consideration as an "independent" review provider, were it now to be duly
proposed for designation as such.

But what is most noteworthy about ICANN's response, as quoted above, is
the complete lack of any reference to the "maximum extent feasible" terms
of ICANN's Bylaws on transparency, or any consideration of the feasibility
of disclosure of the requested documents.  ICANN's statement, "[I]t is
hard to identify what public interest would be served by the disclosure of
the contract," makes clear the that ICANN itself completely fails to
understand that transparency, in and of itself, is a public interest --
which is among the major reasons why ICANN's bylaws include their current
transparency provisions.

"4. What is your general assessment of ICANN's commitment to the interests
of global Internet users? Can you provide a specific example(s) when ICANN
did not act in the interests of global Internet users? If so, please
provide specific information as to the circumstances and indicate why you
believe ICANN’s actions were not taken in a manner consistent with the
interests of global Internet users.

ICANN has little or no commitment to the interests of global Internet
users. The clearest example of ICANN action contrary to the interests of
global Internet users was the elimination of direct public election of
members of ICANN's Board of Directors.

Most global Internet users use the Internet as Web surfers and users of e-
mail and other Web services. The overwhelming majority of global Internet
users are not domain name registrants. But ICANN's structure defines
constituencies among domain name registrants, and provides no meaningful
representation for the interests of those Internet users who have not
registered their own domain names.

"5. What is your assessment of the ICANN Board of Directors' governance
[]?"

ICANN's Board of Directors has completely failed at self-governance. As
discussed above, ICANN's Board has repeatedly taken actions, or has failed
to act, in ways which competent and diligent board members conscious of
their responsibilities should have known were clearly contrary to ICANN's
bylaws on account ability and transparency.

I have repeatedly pointed out each of the violations of ICANN's
transparency and accountability Bylaws discussed above in comments to
ICANN. But ICANN's Board of Directors has taken no action to bring itself
or other ICANN bodies into compliance with its Bylaws, and has never been
willing to meet with me or to place any of these issues on the agenda for
a public meeting.

ICANN's internal accountability and transparency mechanisms having failed,
I continue to urge the US Department of Commerce to act on my
unacknowledged whistle-blower contract fraud complaints that ICANN has
violated its contractual commitments to the DOC regarding accountability
and transparency, and to urge the California Secretary of State to revoke
ICANN's corporate charter for failure to act in accordance with its
Bylaws, specifically those provisions of its Bylaws related to
accountability and transparency.

I would be happy to meet with the ATRT and/or its members, staff, or
consultants, in person or by telephone, and to respond to any written
inquiries or requests for clarification. As the individual who has made
the most extensive efforts to hold ICANN to its purported principles of
transparency and accountability, I believe that my engagement with ICANN
provides the most important single case study of ICANN's accountability
and transparency, and conclusively demonstrates that ICANN has failed to
comply with its Bylaws or to provide any meaningful mechanisms for
accountability or full transparency.
Edward Hasbrouck
<edward@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
<http://hasbrouck.org>