ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[atrt-questions-2010]

Metrics

  • To: "atrt-questions-2010@xxxxxxxxx" <atrt-questions-2010@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Metrics
  • From: Jonathan Zuck <jzuck@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 20:38:08 +0000

My name is Jonathan Zuck and I would like to thank the Accountability and
Transparency Review Team for giving me the opportunity to submit these comments
on behalf of the Association for Competitive Technology (ACT), which represents
nearly 4,000 small and midsized technology firms worldwide.  As a longtime
advocate for improved accountability mechanisms for ICANN, I commend the
efforts of this panel and look forward to reading its review and
recommendations.

I will confine my comment to one area in which ICANN has not followed through
on community recommendations and has not been adequately transparent and
accountable to its constituency.

For the past three years, I have called upon ICANN to establish concrete
metrics by which to measure its progress toward achieving the stated goals of
improved accountability, transparency and ³institutional confidence.² While I
am well aware that I am just one stakeholder, my recommendation on this matter
met with widespread agreement and was echoed in many comments submitted during
the Improving Institutional Confidence (IIC) process, the JPA reviews and the
discussion over the Affirmation of Commitments.

ICANN Chairman Peter Dengate Thrush, who sits on this review team, publicly
agreed that ³what gets measured, gets done,² and called on the organization to
develop metrics to advance the goal of improving institutional confidence and
strengthening accountability.

Two years and an accountability process later, and I remain extremely concerned
that there exist no real metrics by which to measure ICANN¹s improvements in
the areas of accountability, transparency and redress.

The review team took a critical and valuable step by adopting a working
³definition of accountability² but the challenge now is to establish tools to
measure the extent to which ICANN is living up to that definition.

Accountability is not a binary concept. ICANN is not now ³unaccountable² nor
will it at some point become ³perfectly accountable.² If accountability exists
along a continuum, the challenge is to determine where ICANN falls along that
continuum, and whether it is moving in the right direction. The only way to
achieve this is with clear, effective metrics.

The issue of metrics also calls into question the extent to which ICANN is
effectively capturing, reviewing and acting on the interventions offered by
members of the community during public comment periods. The public forum held
on the penultimate day of each ICANN meeting is intended to be a functioning
part of the bottom-up governance process, not merely a community venting
session. When members of the community offer substantive recommendations for
policy developments and improvements, ICANN staff should be capturing those
recommendations and passing them along to the appropriate committees and
supporting organizations.

Members of the community must have a way to know how and whether their
recommendations were considered by staff.  And we especially need to understand
why staff would recommend policy that departs significantly from what the
community asked for.

In short, the question of metrics presents both an operational and
philosophical quandary for the review team. In the immediate term, I would urge
the review team to devote significant effort toward establishing concrete
accountability metrics for ICANN. And as the review process unfolds I would add
my voice to the chorus of those calling on ICANN to be more transparent about
how community contributions factor into the bottom-up decision-making process.

Jonathan Zuck | President | Association for Competitive Technology

202-331-2130x101 | 202-331-2139 (fax) |
jzuck@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:jzuck@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Check out : www.Innovators-Network.org<http://www.innovators-network.org/>
010100000111001001101111011101000110010101100011
011101000110100101101110011001110010000001110011
011011010110000101101100011011000010000001100010
011101010111001101101001011011100110010101110011
011100110010000001101001011011100110111001101111
011101100110000101110100011010010110111101101110