ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

[bc-gnso] Paper on Registry/Registrar separation

  • To: <bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [bc-gnso] Paper on Registry/Registrar separation
  • From: "Philip Sheppard" <philip.sheppard@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 10:11:40 +0200

For information - please see the link below.

The paper concludes that
"The public interest in supporting competition does not support elimination of
the current
separation of Registry and Registrar ownership. The end result would be further
consolidation of the top tier registrars, gaming of the loopholes in the
reciprocity
provisions which will, in the very least, provide a "time to market" advantage
for select
Registrars, among others. These changes would, in conclusion, present a severe
negative
impact on competition among Registries and among Registrars and harm to end
users".

The BC has I believe not formally changed its view on R/R separation (ie
against) but we did
presume the issue may be less relevant with the expansion of new TLDs and may
be competition
enhancing for smaller players.  This paper argues (to my mind) persuasively
against that
presumption.

Philip

FYI.  Enclosed is a paper produced by PIR, NeuStar and Afilias on the
Registry-Registrar
separation issue which reflects the dangers of the removal of the separation
requirements.

http://www.icann.org/correspondence/raad-to-dengate-thrush-08may09-en.pdf.

Jeffrey J. Neuman, Esq.: NeuStar, Inc.
Vice President, Law & Policy