ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Re: [bc-gnso] Nominating Committee

• To: BC gnso <bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [bc-gnso] Nominating Committee
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 10:23:35 -0500

i like Marilyn's objective -- a strategic advocate of our role/ direction both as a constituency and as an organization (ICANN) relating to a worldwide community.

i'm not completely opposed, but it seems a shame to have to go outside our membership to find such a person. it seems like we should be able to come up with a representative from within our ranks who can do a good job of helping us arrive at a widely shared/endorsed definition of that role and being an effective advocate for it on the NomCom. in corpspeak, this seems like a great leadership-development opportunity. :)

for those of you who are wondering who Michael Roberts is, he was the first CEO of ICANN and has been a member of the CBUC in the past. here's a link to an ICANNwiki page about him;

http://icannwiki.org/Michael_Roberts

mikey

On Jul 29, 2009, at 9:46 AM, Marilyn Cade wrote:

I think that discussions like this are better when they are general in nature and not only statements between individuals. So, I'll thank Liz for her response on a more personal basis, but take this back to a more general proposal and discussion for all BC members interests.

My proposal was that the BC members think more strategically about NOT 'necessarily' requiring membership for a highly qualified candidate from the business user community to be considered as a NomCom member.

Of course, within the BC and the GNSO, there are a lot of improvements and changes underway. However, we all are aware that the BC is about GNSO policy areas, which is the primary purpose and focus of the BC, as a constituency of the GNSO.

That is very important, and of course, the BC elected councilors will vote on two Board members elected from the GNSO Policy Council.

However, the larger issues of concern about governance of the organization are actually NOT about GNSO policy, but broader issues, such as the stability of the organization, how it co exists in a larger public policy arena that has the IGF, ITU as 'sister players', and is also about an ever improved interaction between the other parts of the stakeholder community.

Some growth in BC membership would be great, and as the services of the BC grow, and the merger with the other commercial user constituencies takes place, we will probably be assessing how and what to improve in the kinds of information and activities that are going to support the GNSO "commercial user house".

Selecting a very senior, highly respected leader like Mike might lead to his being chosen as vice chair of the NomCom -- something that won't happen if we are sending someone that is viewed as tightly tied to particular policy perspectives. And, after all, the Board selection is about governance -- not about GNSO policy positions per se.

At the same time, we need to recognize that the GNSO Policy Council will be electing board members, and that the ALAC is seeking elected board seats -- to achieve that change will take major changes in the NomCom process.

Reform and modification of the NomCom procedures/scope, accountability, and some form of reasonable transparency are all going to need work and attention.

That won't be done by the folks are who are 'within' the NomCom, of course, so is something to be aware of.

CC: bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx
To: marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [bc-gnso] Nominating Committee
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 13:15:20 +0100

Marilyn

I would welcome Mike Robert's participation in the BC. As one of three members [David Fares and Mike O'Connor are the others) of the BC Credentials Committee, it would be tremendous to receive an application from him. However, asking him, or anyone else, to join the BC for the purpose of standing for election as the BC's representative to the Nominating Committee seems to be rather a stretch.

I can think of many existing members in the BC who would do an admirable job in a highly complex environment which is very time consuming. I would also suggest that intimate knowledge of the challenges of the Business Constituency in a transitioning organisation is critical as is a commitment to the broader ICANN community.

As to your comments about "improving the BC presence" in the Nominating Committee, the existing representatives (Phil Lodico and I) are always open to suggestions for improvements. We have both provided regular updates to the BC but cannot, under the strict confidentiality rules of the Nominating Committee provide more detailed notes about the workings of the Committee itself. Of course, everything about the Nominating Committee that can be made public (that is everything but candidate names and their details) is available here http://nomcom.icann.org/

Kind regards.

Liz
On 29 Jul 2009, at 12:57, Marilyn Cade wrote:

I've reviewed the requirements for Nom Committee appointments, and I see that actually, we can nominate someone who is not a BC member, but is from the business community. I have not yet approached Mike Roberts, but call all members attention to that long standing role that Mike has had in the Internet, standing up ICANN, and being a BC member. He is a micro enterprise owner, and highly respected around the globe. Perhaps we should be thinking more broadly, and more globally, about 'recruiting' someone like Mike for the NomComm.

I am going to reach out to Mike to 'test' whether he would stand for selection from the BC.

We would certainly 'improve' BC presence by selecting someone like Mike, or his counterpart from another part of the globe.

Business has the ability to think creatively. I'd like to see more of that from 'us'. Perhaps other members have ideas about business people from other parts of the globe that we might nominate. I also know a CEO from Egypt rather well, and we could also consider someone like that for the NomComm role. We would need to organize a 'support/briefing' team, but some of those who have been on the NomCom could offer to do those briefings, with an open conference call for all BC members interested to listen in.

Marilyn Cade
ICT Strategies
mCADE llc

micro enterprise member of BC

- - - - - - - - -
phone   651-647-6109
fax             866-280-2356
web     www.haven2.com
handle OConnorStP (ID for public places like Twitter, Facebook, Google, etc.)

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy