ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

[bc-gnso] GCOT request for input from CBUC members

  • To: <bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [bc-gnso] GCOT request for input from CBUC members
  • From: "BC Secretariat" <secretariat@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 17:28:04 +0200

Dear Members

Please find below a mail (and attachment) from Ray Fassett, Chair of the GNSO
Council Operations Work Team

Best wishes
Gary

The GNSO Council Operations Work Team (GCOT) is requesting feedback from you
and your members with regards to the attached document.  While we are asking
one question as noted below, all comments are welcome as our goal is for
broader community feedback at this time.  In this light, our aim is for
individual feedback vs. formal Constituency statement.  Our request is to
distribute to your members.  All replies should be to Julie Hedlund at
julie.hedlund@xxxxxxxxx, assisting our Work Team in an administrative position.
 Julie will then forward all comments received to our Work Team discussion
list.

The Operating Steering Committee GNSO Operations Work Team ("Work Team") has
been tasked with determining high-level operating principles for the GNSO.  In
line with this mandate, the Work Team has been considering how to establish a
stronger, more effective GNSO.

This document describes a Generic Name Supporting Organization with two
separate, functional bodies (as opposed to our existing single body known as
the Policy Council), which we think may achieve the goal stated above.

THE WORK TEAM WOULD LIKE TO STRESS THAT THIS PROPOSAL SHOULD NOT BE VIEWED AS A
FIRM RECOMMENDATION.  NEITHER SHOULD IT BE ASSUMED THAT THERE IS CONSENSUS FOR
THIS APPROACH WITHIN THE WORK TEAM.

We feel that it is appropriate to seek broader input from the ICANN Community
on an approach that would fundamentally change the GNSO structure and working
arrangements of the GNSO through the separation of its core functions, i.e.
creating separate bodies: one for policy development management and one for the
administration of the SO.

THEREFORE, TO BE CLEAR, THE WORK TEAM IS ASKING YOU ONE QUESTION ONLY:

Do you think that the establishment of a new, additional body to address
specific responsibilities - as described herein - would better serve the
stakeholder groups that make up the GNSO, or not?

The feedback received from the ICANN Community will establish the way forward
for the Work Team regarding our work on this high-level GNSO operating
principle. Any additional comments or questions you may have are welcomed.

Please reply to: julie.hedlund@xxxxxxxxx

We take this opportunity to thank you in advance for providing our Work Team
with this much needed direction.

Sincerely,

Ray Fassett

Chair