ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

[bc-gnso] Does your organization believe ICANN has completed the economic studies that were promised?

  • To: "'George Kirikos'" <icann@xxxxxxxx>, "'BC gnso'" <bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [bc-gnso] Does your organization believe ICANN has completed the economic studies that were promised?
  • From: "Dirk Krischenowski | dotBERLIN" <krischenowski@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 07:57:51 +0200

Dear George, dear all,

we mentioned in our comment to the Carlton paper 3 clear cut reasons why
this report is nice but just nice but cannot be topped by another nice
study:

1. The report and many actors of the global Internet community have lost
sight of is the question what economic scenario would happen if no new TLDs
are introduced. I would like to dig up an old but still very virulent reason
why new TLDs are vital to be added to the root: The Alternate Root Threat.

It is obvious that several large countries will quickly establish their own
root systems. China and several other countries may even be waiting for this
opportunity with alternate roots operating in their countries for years. The
damage to the global Internet by a fragmented root will not only harm
ICANN's role as a provider of a ubiquitous and reliable network but also
global business, in particular that of trademark owners, some of which
heavily try to prevent new TLDs.

2. Another aspect of studies like that from Dr. Dennis Carlton is that it is
a hard job to predict the future in highly dynamic areas like the Internet
and computing. I would like to remind you of predictions of this kind which
entirely failed, such as this one: "I think there is a world market for
maybe five computers" (Thomas Watson, IBM-Chef, 1943).

The report also underestimates the creativity of entrepreneurs but also
criminals to develop great ideas but also bad ones, but conserving the DNS
at the current status is definitely not the answer.

3. In the case of GeoTLDs we think that ICANN is definitely not in the
position to deny a request of city and regional governments who decide to
have their own TLD, regardless the potential economic value of these TLDs.

Best regards,

Dirk