ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

RE: [bc-gnso] where are we at on a new charter?

  • To: "'Mike O'Connor'" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>, bc - GNSO list <bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [bc-gnso] where are we at on a new charter?
  • From: Marilyn Cade <marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 08:59:16 -0400

Mike, thanks so much. I have some different changes, but like much of what
you've done.
One area I had flagged as a real concern was the subjectivity with which a
member could be expelled. We need to avoid subjectivity. Also, frankly, we
can't ask for the kind of solidarity for members that we ask for for elected
reps, whomever they are.
Associations can't pledge to this kind of solidarity, nor can major
corporations. And as an SME, I can't, either. I may be in a minority position,
and according to ICANN's bylaws, my minority position can be documented and
included in the final reports. This seems to say that I would be bound to
advocate against my minority position, because I am a BC member. I would think
that would simply be that officers and elected policy councilors are bound by
solidarity, and that members have to factually describe the 'official BC
position, but can state that they individually were not in agreement.
I'm wondering how USCIB, or TechAmerica or ICC would be able to pledge to that
requirement. That is worth a bit more discussion, but when I send such language
to outside counsel, I get waves of 'caution'. ;-)
I will try to make some suggestions re mark up this week end. To summarize, I'd
like to cut out the VC for outreach, or whatever that term was completely, and
have a VC for Adm/operations, put the treasurer functions under that VC, and
have outreach a committee function, not a 'VC' function. Also the Cred.
Committee cannot be engaged in outreach and recruitment. :-)
Positions should be elected wherever possible, but we need to be fairer about
the nomination and election processes to enable more people who are new to the
organization to gain visibility and get engaged. :-) We can do that by having
two week nomination periods, with actual conf. calls to 'meet the candidates',
not just written statements.

They are the 'cops', not the recruiters. We should have a committee of members
who have materials and can all do outreach to their respective communities for
joining the BC. that committee can report to the Chair. This will build
membership that are interested in ICANN overall, as well as in policy in the
GNSO. The VC of Policy is GNSO policy related.
The participation in the CSG couldl be the VC Adm/Operations, with the chair as
alternate. The Policy VC will have plenty to do related to the GNSO POlicy
Council and the internal support to policy development processes, WGs, etc.
etc.