ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

[bc-gnso] two topics: thanking Gary and organization of the ICANN meetings

  • To: bc - GNSO list <bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx>, <secretariat@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [bc-gnso] two topics: thanking Gary and organization of the ICANN meetings
  • From: Marilyn Cade <marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 11:10:29 -0400

I join others in thanking Gary Hills for his contribution to the BC and the
ICANN community over the last 9 years. WOW, Gary, I didn't realize it was
already nine years! Many many thanks. I have always regretted that we were not
bringing you, as our secretariat to more of the face to face meetings, and
appreciate that you changed your other business commitments many times to
participate with us when possible ' in person'.
Second topic: I would like to propose that we discuss a major change in how the
meetings at ICANN are organized. Consider it a "food for thought" proposal,
that means: let's discuss it, as one option, taking into consideration the
changes that are upcoming as we merge into the CSG, and also have to have
productive interactions with the other non contracted house.
We could start with a constituency meeting on Sunday afternoon/the day before
ICANN starts; hold the present Cross Constituency meeting, but spend the
afternoon Tuesday in meetings and dialogue with other constituencies or the At
Large; ensure that all are available to attend the full meeting of the Bd/GAC
as it is now open. I think that many of our members don't actually feel that we
are devoting enough time to working through positions. Face to face meetings
are challenging for us, because we need to have our meetings ahead of time by
phone and develop the basis for positions then.
We will need to factor into our thinking that we will have to have the meeting
of the two non contracted parties on site, as well, and that may eat up some of
the Tuesday p.m. time.
It might be an excellent idea to invite the three newly appointed non
commercial reps into a small get acquainted setting, as well.