ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

[bc-gnso] FW: Standing for BC chair - statement of interest from Marilyn Cade

  • To: bc - GNSO list <bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [bc-gnso] FW: Standing for BC chair - statement of interest from Marilyn Cade
  • From: Marilyn Cade <marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 12:26:11 -0500

Dear BC Colleagues
As we enter 2010, I wanted to communicate with BC members to declare my
interest in standing for election for the chair of the BC. I would appreciate
your consideration but ask that all communications regarding this topic be
sent, for now, until the nomination process opens, " off list" to
marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx, so that we don't overburden the list with
campaigning. My intent in posting this announcement is merely to let you know
of my interest and to ask that you consider my interest, once the nomination
process opens.
==========================================================================Background:
 I am expecting that we will hear soon that elections will open in early
January, and so it seems timely to let you know of my interest, and why I am
interested in being chair of the BC.  I am not trying to create an online
campaign, so ask that you merely note my interest, and that you send any direct
communications regarding my interest, or any questions off list to my email at
marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx
We have benefitted from hard work and dedication of our councilors and
officers, and of our secretariat, Gary Hills, but as we all know, with the BC's
new charter, there is a new approach to governance/leadership of the BC in
2010, providing for separate administrative/management officers, with four new
officers who are standing for election early in 2010, to then join the existing
policy councilors - Mike Rodenbaugh and Zahid Jamil, who together will form the
new Executive Committee for the Business and Commercial Users Constituency
(BC).  The BC chair role is essentially a coordinating role, with specific
expertise in other activites -- policy coordination and finance/operations --
given over to other elected officers, and a new specifically designated role
for a CSG representative.    Position interested in: I am interested in being
elected as chair of the BC.
During 2010, there is important work to be done by the chair of the BC.  This
will be a vitally important year for the new structure of the BC, and a very
important time to work out, as well, how to expand and broaden membership of
the BC, as well as how the BC works with other constituencies on key topics of
priority interests to its members. We will also be working with other members
of the Commercial Users Group (CSG) during this year; there will be a
designated elected position to provide that interaction with other CSG reps
from the IPC and ISPCP.  The BC members will have much to consider during this
year, both organizationally and structurally, as well as their ongoing focus on
policy issues, which will rest in the new Policy V.Chair and the two policy
councilors.

I know that BC companies, and other potential BC members often have broad
interests as well in such topics as the strategic plan, Internet security and
stability, and topics such as Board improvement.  The chair can help to
identify and support the BC's appropriate attention to those broader issues and
perspectives that will make the BC a highly respected voice in the macro issues
that affect ICANN, while supporting the work of other elected officers/and
members, by helping to ensure that there are resources and attention focused on
the key policy activities of the BC.

If elected chair, I would expect to work collaboratively with the other members
of the Executive Committee; to advance as much transparency as possible on
decision  making and planning, and to undertake a focus on business outreach
for strengthening the membership and participation of the BC within ICANN.

Once there is an official election process, I am interested in being nominated
and standing for election to the BC chair.
But I would welcome your feedback in the meantime and any questions that you
may have, which should be sent to my email off list  at
marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx.  I don't think that we should turn the BC list into a
debate about candidates, but do believe that announcing interest is an
appropriate use of the BC list.

As a short version of my statement of conflicts/interests, I do not represent
any companies who are registries or registries or who are registry applicants,
and in fact, do not represent any companies within the BC or within ICANN. My
company -- mCADE LLC/ICT Strategies -- provides advisory services focused on
Internet governance activities, Internet security and stability, and advising
commercial enterprises on the activities of intergovernmental and international
organizations that are of relevance to businesses.

Marilyn Cade + 1  202 360 1196  or   + 1 202 251 6787
email:  marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx