ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

RE: [bc-gnso] Nairobi developments -- ICANN Board to meet to review the situation tomorrow

  • To: "'Mike O'Connor'" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>, bc - GNSO list <bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [bc-gnso] Nairobi developments -- ICANN Board to meet to review the situation tomorrow
  • From: Marilyn Cade <marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 19:01:30 -0500

thanks, Mike, for sharing the information on the BC list.
I just want to suggest that we all avoid over reacting at this point to what is
still not a clearly defined situation.

The 'just sent out' alert re the Board discussion about security and options
has actually been in the planning for several days.
I am following this closely. I am planning to travel to Nairobi. I'll be part
of discussions about safeguards, and risks, and threats, and all those critical
issues. But, I do urge that we not base our decisions on news articles.
I am in touch with the Kenyan hosts and colleagues from Kenya, and today, I
contacted UN security team in NY via a trusted colleague, and will share any
feedback I receive. And, we will all hear the Board's decision tomorrow.

I recall that in 2008, the IGF was held in Hyderabad, and only a few days
before we all were to travel to India, a terrorist incident happened at Mumbai.
The IGF went on; many cancelled, but many came to the meeting. Myself, and many
BC members among the attending parties at Hyderabad.
Marilyn