ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

Re: [bc-gnso] Question/comment regarding HSTLD Verification Program

  • To: "Michael D. Palage" <michael@xxxxxxxxxx>, Steve DelBianco <sdelbianco@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, bc - GNSO list <bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx>, Craig Schwartz <craig.schwartz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [bc-gnso] Question/comment regarding HSTLD Verification Program
  • From: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 07:35:51 -0500

hi Steve,

i'm a member of the HSTLD group and would like to commend you for your
questions.  they compliment the question that's been in my mind during the
whole HSTLD discussion, which is:

        "will the HSTLD program work?"

there is definitely **not** consensus today within the HSTLD group at this time
on the answer to my question or yours Steve.  another question which remains
open is "what is the scope of authority of, and participation in, the program?"
 certainly registries, that's a given.  but what about registrars?  what about
registrants?  what are the implications of widening the scope to include all
three of those groups?  is it practical?  is it possible?

if you think verifying the capabilities of registry security people is hard,
imagine what it's going to be like to verify/certify that the security teams of
every registrar and **every registrant** can manage security to a level that
assures end users.  which gets to another fundamental unanswered question --
"who is the ultimate customer of the HSTLD program and what is it going to
provide them?"   again, that question hasn't been answered yet by the advisory
group and it's far from consensus on that topic.

the advisory group is charged with figuring out whether such a program is
advisable and practical.  the RFI is intended to get reactions from Smart
People.  your questions are a great start and i'm hoping to see more as the
conversation proceeds.  i'd like to see the RFI responses come in, the advisory
group come to consensus around some of these fundamental issues, and then see a
public comment cycle to check our work.

thanks!

mikey

On Nov 3, 2010, at 2:08 PM, Michael D. Palage wrote:

> Steve,
>
> You can contact staff directly as to the interpretation of the proper
> channel of public comment. However, my impression is that because the HSTLD
> is still doing its work and has not authored a draft/final policy document,
> there is no need for a formal public comment channel at this time. Instead,
> the RFI which has been prominently displayed on ICANN's announcement section
> has received responses from six global consulting firms, so I think we must
> be doing something right.
>
> If you like you can review the MP3 recording from today's call which should
> be posted online shortly as to the agreed upon next steps: edits to response
> document that will be sent to respondents due by end of this week; ICANN to
> send respondents the answers to the questions received, along with posting
> this document publicly on the HSTLD website; consultation with ICANN Legal
> Counsel in connection with a number of issues discussed today on the call;
> conference call with respondents/potential vendors after ICANN legal counsel
> call; and draft of final report.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Michael

phone   651-647-6109