ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

[bc-gnso] posting of individual comments to our list/please do share/ETNO input on draft ATRT recommendations

  • To: "kkladouras@xxxxxx" <kkladouras@xxxxxx>, bc - GNSO list <bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [bc-gnso] posting of individual comments to our list/please do share/ETNO input on draft ATRT recommendations
  • From: Marilyn Cade <marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 12:46:47 -0500

Thanks to those BC members who have posted their individual contributions
regarding AART and also the Applicant Guidebook. That is very helpful to your
colleagues, and a very useful courtesy within the BC. Thanks, Konstantine, for
this posting.

By now, all should have seen the USG letter to the Board regarding concerns
about adherence to the AoC.  I went to the ICANN website and looked at what
ICANN says they are doing to implement each element.  In most cases, they cite
work at the GNSO council, PDPs, etc.

As many of you know, I am very concerned that the failure to deliver on the
economic report leaves out the significant externalities impact -- cost and
other -- to the existing large trademark/portfolio holder where there are IP
rights involved in a domain name through affiliation with a trademark.

But, the USG letter is telling for other reasons, and that is that the
government who negotiated it and who is in fact on the AART, is expressing a
clear sense that ICANN is not delivering -- within year one, on the very
commitments that are needed to keep ICANN out of the clutches of various other
entities.

I am also disturbed to see that once again, staff [and presumably, with the
agreement of Rod] have eliminated the commitment to 'bottom up, consensus
based, private sector led organization. This has been an ongoing struggle since
I was on the President's Strategy Committee [PSC] that formulated many of the
recommendations in the AoC.  That phrasing is very important to business, and
especially as we strive to help ICANN board come to a better approach to
collaborating with the GAC in a constructive dialogue, without changing the
role or authority of the governments within ICANN.

This will be a stressing week, and an important one.

If you cannot be in Columbia in person, we hope to see you online.

Regards

Marilyn Cade
BC Chair