ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

[bc-gnso] internet threat report

  • To: "bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx" <bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [bc-gnso] internet threat report
  • From: Adam Palmer <Adam_Palmer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 15:09:24 -0700

I apologize if this is a repeat.  I know I sent the below to some of you
individually, but I can't recall if I sent this to the entire BC list.

I think many of you would be interested.  This links to Symantec's web page,
but its not product related.

All,

Today marks the launch of Symantec's Internet Security Threat Report, Volume
16<http://www.symantec.com/about/news/resources/press_kits/detail.jsp?pkid=threat_report_16&om_ext_cid=biz_socmed_twitter_facebook_marketwire_linkedin_2011Apr_worldwide_istrxvi>,
 which highlights how the volume and sophistication of threats skyrocketed in
2010.   The report is one of the most comprehensive sources of Internet threat
data in the world.

This report highlights dramatic increases in both the frequency and
sophistication of targeted attacks on enterprises;  the continued growth of
social networking sites as an attack distribution platform; and a change in
attackers' infection tactics, in which they are increasingly targeting
vulnerabilities in Java to break into traditional computer systems.  In
addition, the report explores how attackers are exhibiting a notable shift in
focus toward mobile devices.

One new aspect to the report this year is the development of the "Build Your
Report" online tool<http://go.symantec.com/istr>, where a custom report can be
created by selecting only those topic areas of interest.  You can select from
more than 50 different metrics of the threat landscape to create a personalized
report.

If you would like any further information on this report please feel free to
contact me.

Best regards,

Adam Palmer

Norton Lead Cybersecurity Advisor