ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

[bc-gnso] CircleID Post: ICANN approves expansion plan for top-level domains (TLDs)

  • To: "'bc-GNSO@xxxxxxxxx GNSO list'" <bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [bc-gnso] CircleID Post: ICANN approves expansion plan for top-level domains (TLDs)
  • From: Steve DelBianco <sdelbianco@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 02:38:10 +0000

Here's my post regarding ICANN Board approval of expansion plan for top-level
domains (TLDs).

See below or
link<http://www.circleid.com/posts/20110620_now_begins_the_third_stage_of_icanns_tld_triathlon/>

Now Begins the Third Stage of ICANN's TLD
Triathlon<http://www.circleid.com/posts/20110620_now_begins_the_third_stage_of_icanns_tld_triathlon/>

The ICANN community here in Singapore is celebrating after the historic vote to
expand top-level domains (TLDs). And while I wouldn't begrudge anyone a few
Singapore Slings, I think it's a little early to start celebrating. The
marathon effort ICANN began 5 years ago isn't even close to reaching the finish
line.

Actually, marathon is probably the wrong analogy. Try this:

A month from now, our host city of Singapore will welcome competitors to the
10th International Triathlon. What makes a triathlon so uniquely challenging is
that after you complete a grueling swim and punishing bike race, you still have
the hardest stage ahead of you: a long-distance run.

That's where the ICANN community is now — just off the starting line for the
longest and hardest stage of the race. How we run this stage will determine
whether or not new TLDs succeed from the standpoint of the stakeholder groups
that really matter: domain registrants and Internet users.

The first stage of the TLD triathlon — the open-water swim — was a painstaking,
community-driven policy development process that took the better part of five
years. It had all the feeling of a swim in the open sea, requiring constant
movement without much forward progress. But we eventually stumbled onto the
beach only to begin an unexpectedly contentious stage two.

The second stage of the TLD triathlon — the bike race — was the ICANN Board's
six-month saga of high-pressure, high-stakes negotiations with the Government
Advisory Committee. Like a bike race, it was fast and dangerous, putting at
risk everything that was accomplished in the prior stage. Monday's 13-1 vote in
favor of TLD expansion was like the race stage, where you feel grateful just
for having survived.

That brought us to what I and several board members called "the end of the
beginning<http://www.circleid.com/posts/decision_day_for_icann_the_end_of_the_beginning_or_the_beginning_of_the_end/>”.
 Now ICANN faces stage three: the long-haul work of implementing the most
ambitious undertaking yet.

This next stage is no victory lap. The global Internet community — including
many stakeholders who weren't satisfied with the outcome of the policy
development process — will be watching ICANN's every move to find an excuse to
supplant its multi-stakeholder model with traditional multi-government models
like the UN.

ICANN board resolution leaves enough unfinished business for stakeholders to
spend the next year tweaking the "final" guidebook, even as ICANN's foot-weary
staff does the difficult work of putting it into effect.

During this stage of the race, ICANN must uphold its signature commitments to
accountability and transparency. As the process evolves in keeping with today's
resolution, ICANN must also uphold the multistakeholder model and avoid any
closed-door, staff-driven shortcuts that might seem expedient as the running
gets harder.

Given the timeline approved this week, we're likely to see our first new gTLDs
sometime in 2013. If we all start running now, we can finish the TLD Triathlon
and throw a real party — in about two years.

--
Steve DelBianco
Executive Director