ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

[bc-gnso] interesting beta site from Verisign -- info on dropping domain-names

  • To: Bc GNSO list <bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [bc-gnso] interesting beta site from Verisign -- info on dropping domain-names
  • From: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2011 07:16:35 -0600

hi all,

came across this through Mike Berkins' blog this morning

        http://domaincountdown.verisignlabs.com/index.htm

DomainCountdown has a listing of about 300,000 domains that are going to expire
in the next few days, with all kinds of statistics associated with them.

several observations;

-- if you just let the site do its thing, you get a ranked list of names that
have preexisting activity -- some of it quite substantial.  there might be an
indication that some of these domains are unintended expirations.  the problem
that PEDNR was working on solving.

-- i typed a few of our member brands into the list (Verizon, Facebook, Paypal,
etc.).  Verizon fared the best, no domains contained the string.  Paypal was in
the middle of the pack with 3.  Facebook had 8.

-- i tried my super-generic terms (bar, grill, pub, place, corp) and was
surprised at how few names contained those terms.  "bar" had the most -- around
15.

thought some of you might be interested…  your interest, and point of view, may
vary.  :-)

mikey

phone   651-647-6109
fax             866-280-2356