ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

[bc-gnso] RE: existing BC position on batching

  • To: "'Steve DelBianco'" <sdelbianco@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, bc - GNSO list <bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [bc-gnso] RE: existing BC position on batching
  • From: "Hansen, Anjali" <AHansen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 04:42:21 +0000

Steve,

Thanks for sending this around for us newcomers.  I agree with the BC's
recommendations on batching and the other positions taken on the Applicant
Guidebook in the link you sent.  Great job by the BC. I especially appreciate
the proposal that was made for a Globally Protected Rights List which was
unfortunately not taken by ICANN.  I'd like to keep pushing for this list in
the future.  I strongly believe that rights holders should pay to protect their
brands one time in the TM Clearinghouse and not have to defensively register.
This creates high costs to brandholders and undeserved revenue to registries
and registrars.  I think what occurred in .xxx and the profits raised by
blocking and defensive registrations is indefensible and should not be allowed
to occur again.

My comment today about the batching order, came from the proposal raised at the
NTIA meeting many of us attended in Washington that the batching order should
be: (1) IDNs, (2) community, (3) generic, and (4) brands.  I worry about
allowing all IDN's to go first since many of those could fall under brands or
generics.

I do think the first batch should prioritize IDNs but with qualifications.  I
like the standards set forth in the BC position on batching in general, e.g.,
that:  "name space expansion should create added-value. Where there is
added-value there will be genuine user demand - not just defensive
registrations-and expansion will enhance choice and competition in the global
public interest. In a global market economy, added-value means differentiation
from other gTLDs while providing competition for existing gTLDs."   This should
apply to any first batch IDNs as well.

Thanks to the BC for all your hard work and progress to date.  I look forward
to being more involved in your policy positions in the future and your patience
while I get up to speed.

Anjali

Anjali Karina Hansen | Associate General Counsel

Tel: 703-247-9340
Fax: 703-276-0634
Email: ahansen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:ahansen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
www.bbb.org<http://www.bbb.org/> | Start With Trust

Council of Better Business Bureaus, Inc.
3033 Wilson Boulevard, Suite 600
Arlington, VA  22201

For consumer tips, scams and alerts: Read our blog
<http://www.bbb.org/blog/>Find us on: Twitter<http://www.twitter.com/bbb_us> |
Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Better-Business-Bureau-US/25368131403> |
LinkedIn<http://www.linkedin.com/groups?about=&gid=1917928&trk=anet_ug_grppro>
| YouTube<http://www.youtube.com/user/BBBconsumerTips> |
Flickr<http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbb_us>

BBBAnniversarycolor]<http://www.bbb.org/100-year>

This message is a private communication, and may contain confidential and/or
privileged information. If you have received this message by mistake, please
notify the sender by reply email and then delete the message from your system
without printing, copying or forwarding it. Thank you.