ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

[bc-gnso] ICANN and Patents

  • To: "bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx" <bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [bc-gnso] ICANN and Patents
  • From: "Smith, Bill" <bill.smith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 19:24:10 +0000

The only (perhaps) practical way to deal with business/process patents in the
ICANN setting, in my opinion, is to require *contracted parties* to sign a
patent agreement. I would suggest that the contract require signatories to not
assert business/process patents against other contracted parties.

This might solve part of the problem. BT it can't possibly address trolls.