ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

Re: [bc-gnso] McCarthy/Franklyn comments on closed generics

  • To: Mike Roberts <mmr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [bc-gnso] McCarthy/Franklyn comments on closed generics
  • From: "Smith, Bill" <bill.smith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 20:19:44 +0000

Why is it that the BC, or any other constituency has to come up with *one*
position? It's fairly clear that we will have a multiple opinions, perhaps as
many as there are members. T my mind, that is a good thing and allows this
community, the Internet one, to be vibrant, multi-colored if you will, as
opposed to the black and white world of voting.

I agree with Ron that more discussion is required. I'm not sure I agree with a
"minority" opinion since that suggests voting, and that should be anathema in a
consensus-based organization.

I don't have a solution to the closed generic problem, and I'm not sure one
will be say to develop. I will offer that for certain intractable problems,
restating the problem in a different form can sometimes lead to an 80% solution
to the original problem.

Perhaps such an approach could work here (and elsewhere within ICANN). While
certainly guilty of the "look there's a dead horse let's beat it" mentality
here at ICANN, I suggest we attempt to seek more creative ways to address some
of these issues.

Some options:

Kick it down the road - Perhaps we aren't quite ready to decide this issue and
therefore need more input. Is there harm in delaying decisions on "closed
generics"? If so, who is harmed and to what extent?

Make it someone else's problem - Would WIPO be better suited to decide this
issue? Perhaps the GAC since (some) governments are claiming their role at
ICANN is too limited?

Create a market - Consider charging closed generics additional fees with those
funds directed to some "beneficial purpose". Allow applicants to "bid". Perhaps
funds would be used to support the IGF.

Happy to hear from others.

On Mar 7, 2013, at 10:14 AM, "Mike Roberts"