ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

RE: [bc-gnso] DRAFT FOR REVIEW: BC comment on ACDR's proposal to serve as a UDRP provider

  • To: Steve Delbianco <sdelbianco@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, bc - GNSO list <bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [bc-gnso] DRAFT FOR REVIEW: BC comment on ACDR's proposal to serve as a UDRP provider
  • From: Marilyn Cade <marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 14:08:05 -0400

I do not support this approach. I propose a dfferent approach.
First, the BC did no due diligence/discussion on the improvements that the ADCR
has made, since the last public comment period. I understand that a few did,
but let's be frank: most of our BC members did not.

I see that many of the questions asked to the applicant were addressed, but I
suspect that many BC members didn't have a chance to read the materials. A
responsible approach from us would be to invite the applicant to speak to us
and answer our questions. Let's still do that.
I ask that the draft be changed significantly and edited down to a simple few
paragraphs, without the rhetoric that is in the first few pages.
I fully agree that applications for 1400 new gTLDS calls for an acceleration
for a mechanism for uniform implementation for UDRP standards. However, ACDR,
and another BC member also offering UDRP services both supported this, and
called for retroactive application to all UDRP providers.
The analysis of the BC as drafted is not based in detailed analysis and is
highly subjective.  Most BC members  have not reviewed this draft, or the
revised submission of the applicant.  And I find our BC comments highly
negative and critical toward providers from other regions other than N.Am and
Europe. With new gTLDs, we need reliable and stable providers from other
regions of the world.

I propose that the BC comments say simply:
The BC asks that ICANN establish a process, involving all existing providers,
and representatives from users of the UDRPs, drawn from the Constituencies and
ALAC and other relevant parties, to undertake development of a uniform set of
standards for approval of UDRP providers.  This should include a public comment
process.
Finally, I am not at all supportive of any BC statements that uses language
like "We implore ICANN to expeditiously address this matter".
i do not support or agree with the BC opposing the ACDR as it has fulfilled the
requirements from ICANN. I do support asking for a mechanism for establishing
standards, and asking ACDR and others to accept that requirements will be
retroactive. BUT, I also ask that we be professional and business like in our
language.  As such, the BC could say: The BC proposes that the Board direct
staff to undertake a process, supported by the community of stakeholders and
all UDRP providers, to establish uniform rules and procedures an flexible means
to delineating and enforcing arbitration provider responsibilities.
Marilyn Cade