ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

RE: [bc-gnso] RE: ICC's informal contribution: Impact of new gTLDs on ICANN structures

  • To: "HASSAN Ayesha" <ayesha.hassan@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Benedetta Rossi" <bc-secretariat@xxxxxxxxx>, "bc - GNSO list" <bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [bc-gnso] RE: ICC's informal contribution: Impact of new gTLDs on ICANN structures
  • From: john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 08:15:54 -0700

Ayesha,

Thank you for sending this along.  I think you have hit on at least three
things that will certainly need to be addressed -- a rapid increase in
participation, the likely faster-than-all growth of the contracted parties and
the increased interest for any single entity to have an interest in multiple
constituencies and stakeholder groups.  It is likely that the upcoming GNSO
review will address those changes.

One think you suggest that I had not heard before but makes a lot of sense is
the need for uniform voting rights in this new era and across all SOs and ACs.
I know that each island in the ICANN archipelago currently controls its voting
procedures, but as the multiple interests of individual entities bridge two,
three or more of them, uniform voting rights make a lot of sense for, well, the
sense of it.

Cheers,

Berard
--------- Original Message ---------Subject: [bc-gnso] RE: ICC's informal
contribution: Impact of new gTLDs on ICANN structures