ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

[bc-gnso] FOR REVIEW by 6-Oct-2013: Draft BC position on IGO-INGO Protections

  • To: "bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx" <bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [bc-gnso] FOR REVIEW by 6-Oct-2013: Draft BC position on IGO-INGO Protections
  • From: Steve DelBianco <sdelbianco@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 19:21:37 +0000

ICANN has asked for public comment on a draft final report
(link<http://gnso.icann.org/en/issues/igo-ingo-final-20sep13-en.pdf>) for
protecting the identifiers of certain International Governmental Organizations
("IGOs") and International Non-Governmental Organizations ("INGOs") in all
gTLDs.

Initial comments are due 11-Oct
(link<http://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment/igo-ingo-final-20sep13-en.htm>
 to comment page)

As discussed on last week's member call, the working group for this project
asked the BC for its position before they finalized their report.  Your
executive committee did not believe we had enough time or prior BC positions to
respond.  So we need to develop a position on these recommendations now.

The attached document includes draft BC positions on the WG recommendations,
based on an assessment by Elisa Cooper and Steve DelBianco.  (shows in grey tex
at bottom of each table row. e.g.  "CBUC:  Support" )

Thru page 9, we reflected "Support" based on our previous work on this topic,
and our strong support for TM Clearinghouse improvements to help "brands" like
these at the second level.

The tricky part is how to protect acronyms for groups other than Red Cross and
Olympics, starting on page 10.

There are several hundred acronyms to consider
(link<http://csonet.org/content/documents/E2011INF4.pdf>). e.g., CAN, ISO, MRC,
NIB, ECO

The WG proposal is to place all these in the Guidebook as "ineligible for
delegation".

Elisa and Steve believe that is too hard a line and would prefer these
protected organizations use the Rights Objection mechanism to stop a TLD
application they oppose.  If their objection failed, we have seen how the GAC
could exercise its power of Advice to stop a TLD, too.

Please review and indicate your agreement or objection to the attached draft
positions by 6-October.   Then we need a volunteer to draft the text of our
comments — based on whatever recommendations are approved.

Thank you,
Steve DelBianco
Vice chair for policy coordination
Business Constituency