ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

[bc-gnso] Ominous update on the IANA transition

  • To: BC List <bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [bc-gnso] Ominous update on the IANA transition
  • From: Steve DelBianco <sdelbianco@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2015 18:16:37 +0000

On today’s BC call, several of us talked about Milton Mueller’s post regarding
resistance from ICANN legal when it came time to implement the numbers and
protocol transition plans.  (post is
here<http://www.internetgovernance.org/2015/04/28/icann-wants-an-iana-functions-monopoly-and-its-willing-to-wreck-the-transition-process-to-get-it/>,
 Milton’s email is below)

Bill Woodcock just posted a reply to Milton’s post, clarifying his role in the
meetings with ICANN.
(link<http://www.internetgovernance.org/2015/04/28/icann-wants-an-iana-functions-monopoly-and-its-willing-to-wreck-the-transition-process-to-get-it/>).
    Bill concludes with a confirmation of the troubling trend that Milton
reported:

Those particulars aside, the rest of your description of the situation seems
accurate to me. The IAB minutes that you cite are particularly worthy of note:
that ICANN is _refusing to renew_ the MOU under which they provide Protocol
Registry services to the IETF, because it contains a termination clause, I find
very disturbing. I have to admit that if I were in the IETF’s shoes, I might
very well just take ICANN at their word and go on my merry way, if they say
they don’t want to renew the agreement.

Let’s assume we will encounter the same resistance when it comes time to
‘negotiate’ implementation of CWG and CCWG proposals.