ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

[bc-gnso] Business Constituency point about Affirmation Reviews in the new draft Bylaws

  • To: "accountability-cross-community@xxxxxxxxx" <accountability-cross-community@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [bc-gnso] Business Constituency point about Affirmation Reviews in the new draft Bylaws
  • From: Steve DelBianco <sdelbianco@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2016 21:17:42 +0000

Today the BC agreed to share these points about the draft new bylaws, regarding
the SSR and WHOIS Affirmation Reviews.

These 2 reviews are already late per the Affirmation requirements, and would
also be “late" when we add the review requirement to the Bylaws.   The BC is
not troubled by a new Bylaw that also requires ICANN to begin the next SSR and
WHOIS review as soon as possible.

--

Draft Bylaws Section 4.6 (c) (v), regarding timing of the Security, Stability,
and Resiliency (SSR) review required under the Affirmation of Commitments,

Text from new Bylaws:  "The SSR Review shall be conducted no less frequently
than every five years, measured from the date the previous SSR Review Team was
convened."

BC Comment:  The previous SSR review was convened in 2010, so a 5-year interval
would require the next review by Oct-2015.  Some CCWG members are concerned
that the above text creates a new problem since the SSR review would be at
least 1 year late at the time the Bylaws are approved.  Those concerned are
suggesting revisions to the draft Bylaws to avoid a situation where ICANN is
immediately failing to honor its new Bylaws.

The SSR review is already later than is required under the Affirmation of
Commitments, so ICANN is already failing to meet that obligation.  We are not
troubled by a new Bylaw that also requires ICANN to begin the next SSR review
as soon as possible.

We prefer that ICANN follow through on the Board-approved 2016 start date for
SSR-2 review.   We expect SSR-2 to assess ICANN’s implementation of SSR-1,
including the extent to which ICANN is prepared to meet future challenges and
threats to the security, stability, and resiliency of the Internet DNS,
consistent with ICANN's limited technical mission.

—

Draft Bylaws Section 4.6 (e) (v), regarding timing of the Whois/Directory
Service review required under the Affirmation of Commitments, which is now to
be brought into ICANN bylaws.

Text from new Bylaws: "The Directory Service Review shall be conducted no less
frequently than every five years, measured from the date the previous Directory
Service Review Team was convened.”

BC Comment:  The previous Whois review was convened in Oct-2010, so a 5-year
interval would require the next review by Oct-2015.  Some CCWG members are
concerned that the above text creates a new problem since the Whois/Directory
Service review would be at least 1 year late at the time the Bylaws are
approved.  Those concerned are suggesting revisions to the draft Bylaws to
avoid a situation where ICANN is immediately failing to honor its new Bylaws.

The Whois review is already later than is required under the Affirmation of
Commitments, so ICANN is already failing to meet that obligation.  We are not
troubled by a new Bylaw that also requires ICANN to begin the next
Whois/Directory Service review as soon as possible.

We prefer that ICANN follow through on the Board-approved 2016 start date for
Whois-2 review.   We expect Whois-2 to assess ICANN’s implementation of Whois-1
and current Whois policy. We recognize that there are policy efforts underway
to develop a next generation registration directory service. As repeatedly
reinforced by ICANN’s Board, however, the effort to replace Whois complements,
and runs in parallel with, ICANN’s obligation to fully enforce existing
consensus policy and contractual conditions relating to Whois.