ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[benchmarking-15feb10]

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>

Personal Comments on the report

  • To: benchmarking-15feb10@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Personal Comments on the report
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 10:45:28 -0400

Having now read through the report I have just a few comment that make me
question how useful the information in this report really is:

- The low number of those who were contacted or who responded makes this a very
narrow sampling.  It would have been interesting to see some discussion of why
a sampling this small was considered statistically valid.

- In the demographic section, there is no indication of the sampling's
relationship to GNP or other economic indicators for the region within which
the business is located.  This would be especially relevant in relation to any
discussion of costs in less developed regions.

- In terms of the statistics discussed, only averages are included.  Without
knowing what some of the other statistical measures are, especially the
standard deviation, it is impossible to make any sense or draw any conclusions
based on information about averages.

So while the report is very handsome, it is not nearly as useful as such a
report would need to be in determining what the reasonable variants in
conditions might be for various economic zones.

Avri Doria
Luleå University of Technology

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>