ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[biz-tld-agreement]

Re: [ga] The $250,000 new gTLD application fee

  • To: biz-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx, info-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx, org-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] The $250,000 new gTLD application fee
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 23:23:19 -0700

Danny and all former DNSO GA members or other interested
stakeholders/users,

  I believe any application fee to evaluate a TLD application is
very questionable at best and represents an arbitrary barrier to
free trade in the internet domain name segment.  Of course this
has been our organizations position for some time.  Hence Bret's
question as well as yours Danny are good ones.

Danny Younger wrote:

> The public comment period on the new gTLD report is
> open for another week, and I started thinking about
> the implications of Staff Question #2:
>
> "Thinking about the issue of application fees for any
> new top level domain application, is there merit in
> graduated application fees to assist applicants?"
>
> Perhaps some of you will recall this conversation in
> Wellington:
>
> >>BRET FAUSETT: THAT'S WHAT I THOUGHT.
> I HAD A QUESTION ON PAGE 11, WHICH TALKS ABOUT THE NEW
> TLD PROCESS.  AND I'M LOOKING AT THE THIRD COLUMN FROM
> THE LEFT, WHICH LISTS RESOURCES REQUIRED.
> PARTICULARLY, I HAD A QUESTION ABOUT WHERE IT SAYS
> "FOR EACH APPLICATION," THAT THERE WOULD BE -- LOOKS
> LIKE ALMOST TWO FULL-TIME EMPLOYEES THAT WOULD BE
> REQUIRED AND ABOUT $120,000 IN OUTSIDE CONSULTANTS, IF
> I'M READING THAT CORRECTLY, FOR EACH APPLICATION.  SO
> I'M THINKING THAT THE OPERATIONAL PLAN SEEMS TO
> CONTEMPLATE AN APPLICATION FEE THAT'S GOING TO COVER
> THESE COSTS OF ABOUT $250,000, WHICH SEEMS AWFULLY
> STEEP TO ME.  IS THAT A CORRECT READING OF THIS?
>
> >>KURT PRITZ: YES, I HAVE TWO COMMENTS.
>
> http://www.icann.org/meetings/wellington/captioning-opplan-28mar06.htm
>
> A quarter million dollar fee to evaluate a TLD
> application?  Does the phrase "barrier to entry" mean
> anything at all to ICANN staff?  Are they acting in
> their own interest or in the public interest by
> setting a fee at this level?  I would like to see the
> Staff proposal for graduated application fees.  We
> need to talk further about this...

> http://mail.yahoo.com

Regards,

--
Jeffrey A. Williams
   Abraham Lincoln

P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
Updated 1/26/04
ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827