ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[biz-tld-agreement]

.biz tld

  • To: <biz-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: .biz tld
  • From: "kidsearch" <kidsearch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 00:37:01 -0400

I want to voice my concern about the fact ICANN is allowing a contract where
differential/tiered pricing on a domain-by-domain basis would not be forbidden
under the .biz/info/org proposed contracts. This means that the registries
could charge $100,000/yr for sex.biz, $25,000/yr for movies.org, etc. if they
wanted to -- it would not be forbidden the way the proposed contracts are
currently written. This would represent a powerful pricing weapon for
registries, and a fundamental shift in possible domain name pricing, that could
lead them to emulate .tv-style
price schedules.

The contract needs to be reviewed and rewritten to make sure that this does not
happen.

Chris McElroy aka NameCritic