ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[biz-tld-agreement]

Objection

  • To: <biz-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Objection
  • From: "Brian Gilbert" <hillbillygilbert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 19:20:30 -0400

I really don't see how you could think tier pricing is fair.  The people
that work long and hard to get their site making money shouldn't be punished
by this kind of pricing.  Just because they bought a good name back in the
day or bought the name from someone who bought it back in the day shouldn't
matter either.

How much will Verisign charge themselves for verisign.com?  Why should they
care?  They'll all be able to retire when it's time for renewal of
google.com, Microsoft.com, godaddy.com, etc. if this policy goes into
affect.  This absolutely DOES NOT in any way help the common domain owner.

The people who buy the domains and park them for PPC have got a lot of money
and time invested.  Besides, if a parker bought a good domain and parked it
and the price went through the roof on renewal, they'd let it go...but no
one else could probably afford it either.  That would obviously cause a lot
of sites to go by the way side and make the internet almost useless.  I'm
sure we've all been to webmd.com at one point or another during our surfing.
Where would that site go if they were charged 10 million dollars to renew?
If domain parkers could no longer afford domains, where would Google get
their revenue if they had less sites to advertise on?  Would you be willing
to pay .50 cents per search?  That's only a few examples.

This policy, if put into affect, would only line the pockets of a few
people.  I'm sure those folks are anxious to see this pass.  Maybe I should
go ahead and buy iretiredearlyfromverisign.com and whatwasicannthinking.com

Brian Gilbert