ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[biz-tld-agreement]

WADND.COM responds to Chuck Gomes's statement

  • To: <biz-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: WADND.COM responds to Chuck Gomes's statement
  • From: "Rick Schwartz" <domainking@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 08:20:32 -0400

Dear ICANN,

The Gomes statement  (links below) validates the fears expressed by nearly
every post. This slippery slope is just a matter of time before it happens to
.com and .net

I see no winners if this happens. Lawsuits are going to fly from every
direction. You saw the outcry with the Verisign deal which pales in comparison.

If this stands it will show ICANN acting in bad faith and not in the the public
interest. It will show much more that will come out as these lawsuits begin to
get filed and move forward into discovery. I would estimate that more than one
dozen lawsuits are already being contemplated. Please don't take this as a
threat. It is just common sense what is going to happen. It puts every domainer
and every website owner in jeopardy. If ICANN chooses to close their eyes to
this injustice I don't know how the organization can have any credibility
whatsoever moving forward.

The one good thing is issue has forced domainers and registrars to work
together and now they are beginning to organize. There are associations popping
up and some are very well funded. That is in contrast to the past where we were
whining and splintered. We are now all on the same page. We realize that we
must take this fight to the courts if ICANN moves forward with this unfair plan
that can only be abused. And in the future to say you did not see it coming or
you did not know, will be met with the 200 posts or more that will be appearing
here before the deadline. ICANN is doing this with their eyes wide open.
Please, don't go down this path. Discrimination in pricing will be the downfall
of many. While domainers and website owners are concerned, the real concern
will be why ICANN allowed something like this, that can so easily be abused to
stand when they KNEW full well it would happen as illustrated by the post made.
How will you folks defend your decision?

We urge ICANN board in the very stongest terms to back up and reconsider this
horrible plan. It serves the interests of a few and ignores the concerns of the
masses. It would be the single worst decision ICANN has ever made and it will
be met with nothing but headaches and legal issues for all of us for YEARS to
come.

Thank you for your consideration!

Respectfully,

Rick Schwartz
President & CEO World Association of Domain Name Developers Inc.
For reference here are the Gomes's
statements.http://forum.icann.org/lists/biz-tld-agreement/msg00106.html
http://forum.icann.org/lists/info-tld-agreement/msg00107.html
http://forum.icann.org/lists/org-tld-agreement/msg00124.html